Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Portland Hospital experiences?

(5 Posts)
Valentino2003 Wed 12-Jan-11 22:02:29

I am about to POP! And scheduled to give birth next month @ the Portland in Marylebone and wanted to know everyone's experience. Did you like it? I am with a top consultant and am hoping to have a water birth there with as little meds as I can stand. How did you do it? How were the nurses? Did the midwives stay with you? Were the rooms tiny?

Also I am packing my hospital bag today and am a little confused about what toiletries they supply. I hear they give out Molten Brown? Should I pack shampoo, conditioner, face soap, or is it supplied? How about towels? Should I bring a flannel for drying the face or not? What did you wear there?

And the baby, did you like the nappies/clothes they gave you? Should I bring any besides what they give you?

Sorry so many questions. They gave me a list, but it seems so vague!

Thanks!

BagofHolly Wed 12-Jan-11 23:36:48

I've had all three of my children at the Portland, the most recently last month! I had a planned section so I can't answer your questions about labour but the staff to patient ratio is very high. I spent the night in recovery and was never left alone at all, there were usually 2 HDU midwives with me. (I'd had a big bleed.)
The rooms are nicely equipped - you only get the moulting Browne stuff when you leave, as a present, so I just took my own stuff. All maternity pads, nappies, baby gowns etc are provided, so you just need whatever baby clothes you want the baby to wear to go home and your own clothes.
If you get very tired they'll take the baby to the nursery so you can get some sleep - v handy!
Hope you have a lovely positive experience, it's a great place!

LollyR Thu 13-Jan-11 10:50:30

I'd recommend going to see the Portland before you go in for real. They offer tours during the week (and on a Sunday I think). I went in to have a look when I first got pregnant and it really helped to put my mind at ease. Try calling them on 020 7390 6068. Good luck!

Karoleann Thu 13-Jan-11 12:26:50

I had the room with the birthing pool and it was huge, a midwife stayed the whole time and the consultant popped his head around the door every 15 mins or so to make sure all was okay (I asked him not to stay). The postnatal rooms are big too - dh could have stayed easily. They provided everything, all very relaxing. food nice too.

Valentino2003 Thu 13-Jan-11 12:34:35

Thanks ladies for your answers!!

Karoleann -when you say they provide everything, can you be more specific? What are you talking about exactly? I really don't want to pack more than I need.

It looks like I will need all forms of toiletries?

I took the tour a few months ago, but didn't think of these questions when I took it. I remember the recovery rooms being extremely tiny, but remember the birthing pool room being huge! I hope I get that!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: