Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

labour for 2nd DC...

(8 Posts)
shirleyhyypia Tue 11-Jan-11 17:56:07

Okay, apparently labour for #2 is quicker. I was wondering if theres any correlation between the pain/time of second labour and how soon it is after the first? ie, is it quicker or less painful if they are closer together?

IF I'm pregnant now, DC#2 will be due 9 days before DS 1st birthday.....

I got to hospital at 7cms with him, and he was born 2 hours later. So I'm worried if its any quicker, DC#2 will be born in my living room!!

HettyAmaretti Tue 11-Jan-11 18:03:52

TBH there are no hard and fast rules about labour, many second births are quicker and easier but certainly not all. I've never heard of the age gap making a difference.

My first was 12 hours and my second (18 months later) 4 hours. I'm sure if I hadn't had so much disturbance in my first labour it would have been shorter, my midwife agrees.

If you tend to birth quickly, it's always worth booking a home birth even if you plan to have a hospital birth. That way you have midwives on standby and everything you need ready and waiting at home.

It's quite likely (actually, very likely) that if you hadn't disturbed the birthing process by going to hospital your DS would have been born even more quickly. Booking a home birth, if only as a safety net, would be wize.

HettyAmaretti Tue 11-Jan-11 18:08:25

Oh, and I don't know if my second labour was actually less painful than my first, but knowing how it felt and what to expect certainly made it easier IYSWIM.

shirleyhyypia Tue 11-Jan-11 18:13:27

Not sure I could book a home birth, DS got distressed by the speed and my blood pressure shot up, so he had to be born by ventouse on the consultant led wing. I guess they'd need to have me in just in case the same happened again?

suiledonne Tue 11-Jan-11 18:17:06

I had a fast first labour. It was 4 hours from first twinge to delivery. I went from 2cm to delivery very quickly. Was 2cm at around 6am, dd delived by 7.30am

I have a 2 and a half year gap between my dds. Second labour was MUCH faster. I was at home wondering if I was in labour at 11.30. At that stage I was having twinges that were regular but totally manageable.

DD2 was born at 1.10am.

How long was your first labour in total?

shirleyhyypia Tue 11-Jan-11 18:24:13

I had a show at just gone midnight, was getting very mild irregular pain from about 1am. No worse than the pre-labour twinges though.
At about 8am it got more regular and slightly more painful, but not unbearable. I guess I'd say that was when "labour" started (my notes said four hours, so I guess the MWs agree)

Got to the hospital at 10am and was 7cm when they examined me. My dad rang at 12.10 to see how I was and the MW said it would be ages yet. MW was saying dont push, dont push, you'll tire yourself out. I was trying to explain, I wasnt pushing, my body was, I had no control over it. DS was born 10 mins later.

suiledonne Tue 11-Jan-11 19:27:20

I had a similar experience on DD1. Midwife told me that I was 2cm and only in early labour yet less than an hour later I was pushing involuntarily. The midwife didn't even want to re-examine me but happened to have a moment free so agreed in the end.

The second time round we barely made it to the hospital. I spoke to a midwife on the phone. She was obviously in no doubt that baby was on the way and had an ambulance on standby and a wheelchair ready at the door. I was whisked in through A&E and straight to delivery. Got on the bed, a few pushes and dd2 arrived smile

I think you doubt yourself first time round but the second time I knew birth was imminent and wasn't going to allow anyone to doubt me!

I am in Ireland and home births not really an option here. The consultant I saw said I would be referred for possible induction the second time round but the midwives talked me out of it (I'm glad of that now after having such an easy birth).

Firawla Tue 11-Jan-11 19:39:34

my 2nd was much quicker too, although my first was v v long so not hard to be quicker than that! but 17 months between them and 2nd was much quicker, simpler and easier overall. i have booked into a nearer hospital this time thinking if it was quicker again for the 3rd i would be lucky to make the hospital as mine was a little bit further away and dont want to be giving birth in a taxi, so if you think it will be quick would say maybe just leave for hospital as soon as you feel anything and make sure you book into the nearest hosp, if not able to do the home birth suggestion
hope it all goes well for you

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: