Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Co-Dydramol 10/500mg or Co-codamol 15/500mg for pain after CS?

(11 Posts)
GlitteryBalls Thu 06-Jan-11 18:48:38

I have just been discharged from hospital following CS. I hadn't had any pain relief for a while before I left and they sent me home with a box of co-dydramol 10/500mg, I took some of these before I had a kip this afternoon and I woke up feeling raw as hell - they have not touched the pain. I have some co-codamol 15/500mg that were prescribed for me for something else, would these be more effective? Am I ok to take these if I have allowed 4 hours for the co-dydramol to wear off? Thanks folks! x

hogmanayhildegardwhingesagain Thu 06-Jan-11 18:50:52

They will very similar in terms of effect TBH. I took paracetamols plus 30 or 60 mg codeine each time after my CS both times.

Have you got some ibuprofen or diclofenac you can take as well?

hogmanayhildegardwhingesagain Thu 06-Jan-11 18:51:58

Both the cocodamol you have and the codydramol contain the full dose of paracetamol, so leave at least 4 hrs between doses and no more than 4 doses in 24 hours whichever you take.hth

GlitteryBalls Thu 06-Jan-11 19:02:01

I asked not to have NSAIDS as they really irritate my stomach and I get quite severe epigastric pain after taking them. I may call GP tomorrow and see if he will prescribe me some stronger co-codamol as I tolerate it well and it seems to work for me in terms of pain relief. They had me on oral morphine every 2 hours yesterday and they've given me nothing apart from this junk today! It hurts! x

megcleary Thu 06-Jan-11 19:04:48

They are about the same but codine does constipate and I would avoid that if I were you post section I took diclofenic post section in the past and it worked well.

reup Thu 06-Jan-11 19:07:55

Yes be very careful if the ones that cause constipation. I had those and iron tablets and was bunged up for days. The first time ever in my life. After various useless natural remedies I took lactulose and felt like I had my own birth experience!!!

QTPie Thu 06-Jan-11 19:11:42

How long were you off the oral morphine before discharge? They really should have stabilised your meds before discharge - makes me very angry (saw this recently with my Mum - different operation though...). However, she was prescribed the oral morphine to take home (although doctors don't like to do it...).

You could ask for Lactulose to "balance" the codeine... not always a bad thing following a CS anyway (things can get a little constipated...)

QT

Chynah Thu 06-Jan-11 22:23:30

I had diclofenac (basically Voltarol) and cocodamol with both my CS and that was plenty. Get to a chemist and get some decent over the counter stuff (voltarol) if the midwife wont get you some. Dont just suffer it.

japhrimel Fri 07-Jan-11 16:47:37

You may need to be more careful about how you move - I found that made the most difference to my pain and I refused the morphine because my DD was in SCBU. If you keep moving around, but do it carefully, you'll be amazed at how quick it gets more manageable. When you go home you're suddenly without the adjustable bed and with a baby to look after completely yourself, so it's harder to be careful, whilst moving enough.

FWIW Co-drydamol and co-codamol are very similar, but if anything, dihydrocodeine is slightly stronger than codeine.

Taking a PPI like lansoprazole with NSAIDs can help reduce side effects, so maybe ask about that.

Nancynew Fri 07-Jan-11 16:53:15

A lot of these painkillers cause constipation, so whilst obviously really necessary, please do get hold of lactulose / stool softener. I seems like a small thing just after a birth and with so much pain, but really do avoid constipation. Unfortunately I didn't and have ended up with fissures (serious ouch)!

GlitteryBalls Fri 07-Jan-11 19:25:31

Thanks guys. I have been taking lactulose and I "went" for the first time yesterday and it was fine luckily! I spoke to the Dr earlier and he wrote me a prescription for co-codamol 30/500mg and some oromorph to take in between doses so I am sooo much more comfortable now. Also had midwife take a look at my scar ab=nd she says it is healing fine. x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: