Talk

Advanced search

any doulas out there?

(25 Posts)
clumsymumluckybaby Wed 05-Jan-11 09:52:33

hello,
id like to become a doula,
ive looked into it a little,but i cant figure out who id be best of training with,what previous qualifications id need, how much it's likely to cost, and what i should be prepared for(the good,the bad and the ugly)

i have two dc's one of whom is 4mo,so it might be a little while until i can start training,just canvassing for opinions really grin

TIAsmile

MarsLady Wed 05-Jan-11 09:55:29

Have you looked on Doula UK?

Lots of choice there and the opportunity to become a Recognised Doula with DUK and be under their umbrella.

Follow the Become A Doula link.

It's a wonderful way to work. I love it! grin

Good luck.

clumsymumluckybaby Wed 05-Jan-11 10:03:59

thankyousmile

pupuce Wed 05-Jan-11 12:41:25

I second Marslady
Definitely worth going down the Doula UK route to ensure you get the right support and the oppportunity to get work too!

clumsymumluckybaby Wed 05-Jan-11 15:37:17

ive been reading about the different courses,is there much difference between them? the cost certainly varies!

anything i should look out for?

or recomendations?

thankssmile

MarsLady Thu 06-Jan-11 00:01:00

Look and see which one has the teaching style that appeals to you most.

I know 3 of the courses personally.

I did the ParamanaDoula course. I enjoyed it, very info heavy

I have friends who did the Nuturing Birth course. Well run, very informative, lots of reflective practise.\

and

Developing Doulas, another well run, highly informative, reflective course.

Don't rush your decision. Think about the way you learn best. Then look and see which courses are run in or near your area. Adela Stockton runs a course in Scotland, for example, and she's amazing!

In short...it's up to you chick! smile

clumsymumluckybaby Thu 06-Jan-11 00:24:05

i had been looking at developing doulas,
i have a feeling about that course.
thankyou,i'll look into it a bit moresmile

HollyBollyBooBoo Thu 06-Jan-11 02:39:54

Hi clumsymumluckbaby - have no real help for your opening question, but if you do become a doula please be a brilliant one and constantly keep up to date with latest thinking/research/WHO recommendations...I contacted a doula whilst pregnant and spent a good while with her, but her advise and ideas were so antiquated and yet she seemed completely oblivious, it totally freaked me out and I stopped looking there and then!

MarsLady Fri 07-Jan-11 18:07:03

That is such a shame HollyBolly. sad It's also sad that you didn't look a little further. I do hope that as you learn more about Doulas you realise that we are not all the sum of one person. One of the best things about Doula UK is that they actively encourage us Doulas to stay updated with our information etc and there are many workshops, courses etc for us to attend.

Clumsymum...if DD is where your thoughts lie... then go with it. You'll find that Maddie etc really encourage you to be current/up to date/informed etc. smile

Porcelain Fri 07-Jan-11 20:00:47

I'm doing initial training this month, with one of the Doula UK approved courses. I have a 5 month old and he is coming on the course with me. Will let you know how it goes.

sotough Fri 07-Jan-11 20:50:00

I have just had my second child with a doula at my side and she was amazing. thanks to her i had a brilliant birthing experience, even though things happened very differently to the way we planned. i don't think enough people know about doulas - if they did, i think the market for them would be really big, especially in London. Go for it!
PS sending a wave to MarsLady who did some post natal doula-ing for me after the birth of my little boy a few years ago. Mars, my teenage stepson still remembers you - you took no crap from him!

dizzeelizzee Fri 07-Jan-11 20:52:15

I trained with Nurturing Birth and found them wonderful smile

clumsymumluckybaby Fri 07-Jan-11 22:23:44

Thanks guys!smile
porcelain can i ask who you are training with? do you think most training courses would be okay with this? it sounds like a pretty perfect arrangement for me!smile i would love to hear how you get along!

i would love to be involved in the post natal side too,does the basic training cover this? or should i sign up for a different course as well?!

MarsLady Sat 08-Jan-11 00:56:24

sotough... you're just across the bridge opposite the school/river etc.

You had another to go with that scrumptious yummy? Congratulations! I'm so glad you had a wonderful birth with a Doula. grin I think about you whenever I'm in that part of town. Is your stepson still super gorgeous?

Do email me a photo if you remember. grin

Porcelain Sat 08-Jan-11 09:37:16

We have just been discussing this on feeding re bf counsellor training and worked out most courses for bf support and the Nct courses allow babes in arms, some also have creches who will bring the baby to you for feeds. Of course trainee bf counsellors can pretty much be expected to have young families and bf them is almost part of the job description.
It's worth asking I'd say, the 4-6 month stage is quite pleasant for a baby being managable bu5 not too intense.
I'm going with Conscious Birthing. They're very nice and helpful.

clumsymumluckybaby Sat 08-Jan-11 11:20:20

thankyou,thats really great news!
he's 4 months atm,i wanted to start asap really but finding a way to do it when im BFing is hard,and even if i expressed for him,it's hard to find a babysitter for him and dd...plus...i'd miss his snuggles blushgrin

Porcelain Sat 08-Jan-11 13:33:16

Baby snuggles are indeed precious.
grin

clumsymumluckybaby Sun 09-Jan-11 10:56:05

ive had a look around and i think im going to go with nurturing birth.
they have a course near me so i wouldnt have to be away from my DD(2.6) for longer than a day.
does anyone know if they would let me bring DS with me?
he would be about 6 mo at the time,and i'll still be BFing.
im going to call them tomorow...but im impatient!grinblush

MarsLady Sun 09-Jan-11 11:03:10

email them.

It will all work out I'm sure. Glad you were able to find a course that you like and I wish you all the best with it. smile

clumsymumluckybaby Sun 09-Jan-11 16:03:50

hello again.
im pretty gutted,ive just recived a reply from nurturing birth saying i cannot bring ds along with me,i could take breaks to express or have someone bring him in for feeds,but i dont have anyone who could do that,so ...back to square one thensad

teenyweenytadpole Sun 09-Jan-11 16:10:00

If you are interested in distance learning take a look at Childbirth International - no need to take baby along, and you can take as long as you like to complete the course.

http://www.childbirthinternational.com

MarsLady Sun 09-Jan-11 23:50:46

That's shame clumsy. Maybe you should put it on pause whilst you wait for DS to be able to be left. I think it's really important that you do a DoulaUK course. Honestly the support that you get is fab and post course it's a great way to get work etc.

Keep me posted with how you do.

Mars xx

clumsymumluckybaby Mon 10-Jan-11 00:16:16

thankyou,
i will be doing a doula uk supported course,but i may have to wait a while.
i have emailed developing doulas and i will see what they say,it's a shame though as it's a lot further away and will mean staying at a b&b away from DD for 3 days at a time.
(she will stay at home with daddy and will be very pleased to have so much daddy time! it's me who would be upset!!)
but i really would like to be on my way to earning again!

topnotchnanny Wed 21-Sep-11 12:16:29

I know of a training course coming up on the 11th-15th of October. It is through British Doulas UK. For more information please go to
http://www.britishdoulas.co.uk/become-a-doula/

NorthLondonDoulas Wed 21-Sep-11 22:31:33

I know of three... all good but very different - Doula uk, British Doulas and Nurturing Birth.

Good luck.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now