Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What will a contraction feel like?

(14 Posts)
beijingaling Mon 03-Jan-11 09:53:50

Due to sickness I missed the one childbirth class that was available to me. I'm 39+4 and I have no idea what to expect when labor actually begins.

I've had lots of totally painless moments when my tummy goes completely hard. I've had a bit of lower back pain (probably 3 times in total). I've had period like cramps that have lasted anywhere between 1 minute and half an hour.

Do contractions feel like period cramps? Are they like period cramps that keep getting worse? My dr said I need to come to hospital when the contractions last 30 seconds and are 6 mins apart. That seems like quite a long gap between them... will I miss it when it starts?

Sorry this is probably all really stupid! blush

Meglet Mon 03-Jan-11 09:56:21

yes, period cramps that get worse. You might need to go for a few poo's as well as the body has a clear out before it gets going.

You will know a proper contraction when it happens!

good luck!

supergreenuk Mon 03-Jan-11 10:00:39

Yes period cramps that come and go. They last about a minute or 2

rubyslippers Mon 03-Jan-11 10:04:08

A real contraction as opposed to a braxton hicks will not stop when you change position

Also, the latent phase of labour can last for a while with CX stopping and starting

With my first, I leapt out of bed and was on my hands and knees in minutes when my labour started - he was back to back so had a lot of back pain and pressure in my lower back and bum

With DD, I knew again - CX started and just gathered pace

With

megsophandemma Mon 03-Jan-11 10:05:12

Message withdrawn

megsophandemma Mon 03-Jan-11 10:05:45

Message withdrawn

StartingAfresh Mon 03-Jan-11 10:50:35

You won't necessarily know when labour starts, but you'll know that you're in labour hours before you actually give birth.

hth

beijingaling Mon 03-Jan-11 13:41:16

Thanks everyone. I've been getting back pains every 10 minutes or so and some cramps at the front at the same time. We'll see what happens!

StartingAfresh Mon 03-Jan-11 13:57:15

'My dr said I need to come to hospital when the contractions last 30 seconds and are 6 mins apart'

Can I ask if there is a medical reason for this?

It's just that there is a relationship between going in early and intervention (as when you arrive you are on a countdown to have delivered)

I went in at 70second contractions at 2 minutes apart and still had two hours in the actual hospital before I gave birth.

The first time I went in when contractions were 15 seconds long (which never got longer) every 3 minutes and spent 10 hours in hospital.

StarExpat Mon 03-Jan-11 14:02:20

You'll just know. People said that to me. I didn't believe it. When first one came, I knew. No worries. You will know. It hurts. But it's worth it in the end. Everyone told me "it's not that bad" and "just like a ba period cramp". I think they forgot. I wish someone just said it hurts a lot. It does but it's temporary.

beijingaling Tue 04-Jan-11 09:02:31

Thanks everyone. Baby born at 6.12 this morning. Were both doing really well!

rubyslippers Tue 04-Jan-11 11:06:49

Aw - congratulations

Egwar Tue 04-Jan-11 14:12:25

Congratulations

AmandaCooper Tue 04-Jan-11 20:11:55

Congratulations! So what was a contraction like?!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: