Talk

Advanced search

people with labour expierience, how did you feel...

(15 Posts)
mama923 Thu 30-Dec-10 18:06:09

just before labour? im panicking loads! i dont know what to expect

any answers welcome thanks!

SparklyJules Thu 30-Dec-10 18:08:58

A couple of days before I was extremely pissed off at still being pregnant and totally fed up of the whole thing. I'm talking full on grumpiness - crying, being petty, being rude to all and sundry etc. The day before I went into labour I had chilled out totally and just calmed down a lot. I didn't know what to expect either, but viewed it just as a job that needed doing, a means to an end, so once I accepted that I was in a better headspace, if that makes sense?

SlightlyTubbyHali Thu 30-Dec-10 18:11:02

FURIOUS.

amigababy Thu 30-Dec-10 18:21:29

I had a crazy urge to buy all the nappies in the shop, was convinced we had nowhere near enough. Of course, didn't know I'd be in labour 12 hours later!
Anyway all went well - don't panic, you can do it - once it starts just try and work with it

ShowOfHands Thu 30-Dec-10 18:24:14

I felt normal. Labour beginning (waters broke spectacularly) was a total shock.

The thing to remember is that you will get the labour you get and you neither win, lose, succeed or fail. There is every chance that your body will be able to do this. And you know what, if anything unexpected happens, there are legions of people who do this every day and are qualified to help you bring your baby safely into the world.

You might even enjoy it.

And there are drugs. Lots of lovely drugs.

missmapp Thu 30-Dec-10 18:31:27

I felt like my period was coming, mild tummy cramps. I dint have any major nesting instinct, but did have cabin fever ( with ds1 we were snowed in before i was due and was desperate to get out. I tried to convince dh i was fine to go out for a planned meal, then had ds that night!! )

It is different for everyone tho' and you will be fine!!

Macrophage Thu 30-Dec-10 18:36:26

I know the exact second my bodys labour switch flipped with dd, I was having dinner about 28 hours before she was born and I was having my dinner and suddently felt really odd.. I got up and walked aroud, couldn't quite put my finger on what had happened.

24 hours later I started some little contractions and was checked and was 4cm so must have been quietly dilating. She was my first dc

I didn't really get any pain till 6 or 7 cm.

GeorgeWHollyBush Thu 30-Dec-10 19:19:57

Totally normal for the first two, contractions started without any warning but with my third I'd had thousands of BH for the day before I tipped over the edge into established labour and was incredibly fed up.

Margie32 Thu 30-Dec-10 19:34:29

To all those ladies with experience...

Was there any change in your babies' movements before/when labour started? Do you feel the baby moving when contractions start or do they stop moving?

Sorry if it's a daft question but I've got no idea what to expect. And sorry for hijacking your post mama923 but I'm starting to panic too! Good luck!

PrincessScrumpy Thu 30-Dec-10 20:58:12

i felt the same but had a bit of back ache (which I'd had from 12 weeks). I found swimming helped so I demanded DH and I went swimming in the afternoon. I was doing lengths and beating dh for speed - next morning dd was born.

Mood wise and baby movement-wise, all was the same. DH was in an uncharachteristic bad mood which he still doesn't understand. I told him my waters had gone and he got really annoyed with me, turned over and went back to sleep - he doesn't remember at all!

thisisyesterday Thu 30-Dec-10 20:59:09

i don't know, i was asleep all 3 times!

beckie90 Fri 31-Dec-10 09:27:01

i didnt go into labour on my own i had to be induced, id been 2cm dilated for over a week but nothing happend. really didnt want to be induced cause it was like i knew when it was coming and i just wanted to go into labour by myself, it seemed to make it a whole lot scarier for me having to be induced.
and when contractions started i can honestly say i wasnt able to feel him moving because i was in pain so it wasnt in my mind, but of course i knew he was all good in there as i was hooked to a monitor to keep track of him

emsyj Fri 31-Dec-10 11:30:18

Same as ShowOfHands, huge gush of waters breaking with no warning (DD was 3 weeks early). Had been worried that I would panic when it all started, but actually felt really excited and not scared at all.

I was asleep too smile

I don't recall feeling anything different the day before (frustrated, tired, impatient - was overdue with all my pregnancies!)

katster37 Fri 31-Dec-10 14:19:18

Same as SparklyJules - furious and v rude to everyone, snapped at a waitress in Pizza Express who asked when I was due, and I barked "TODAY." at her. Then the day itself (two days later), felt unbelievably calm despite my mum and DH ringing every two minutes. Was almost excited. The nesting thing came weeks before, had been convinced would go into labour at 38 weeks. By 40 weeks, house was a mess again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now