Talk

Advanced search

Episiotomy scar still hurting 10 months later - normal or not?

(8 Posts)
AKMD Wed 29-Dec-10 20:26:45

That's about it really. DS had a ventouse delivery so I was given an episiotomy about an inch long. There were no problems that I could tell with the stitches or with the healing process, but it still hurts 10 months later - TMI alert - when DH and I have sex or if I've been doing high-impact exerise. Should I bring this up next time I see my health visitor or is it pretty standard?

Bobby99 Thu 30-Dec-10 10:09:53

Mine was a big epi and tear, doesn't hurt at all since 3 or 4 months, although things are a bit tight down below until I get warmed up in the bedroom (sorry, TMI...). I have to admit I haven't tried any high impact exercise for quite a while blush

PrincessScrumpy Thu 30-Dec-10 12:32:22

It took me a year to recover from a tear - 37 stitches and they were internal. I did raise it with my GP at 6 months but he seemed to think it was fine. Occasionally DH still catches me wrong and it's a little uncomfortable - kind of had to re-learn how to have sex again which was strange.

I would definitely get it checked, just for your peace of mind.

dribbleface Thu 30-Dec-10 20:40:20

I had this (just posted on another thread). What i thought was episiotomy pain was actually a tear that never healed properly. Actual episotomy scar was fine. Took a few visit to gynea and antibiotics and things are a lot better. i suffered for 2 yrs, get it checked.

Maisiethemorningsidecat Thu 30-Dec-10 20:47:17

I had this, and ended up having to get the scar tissue removed. It was weird, as it didn't feel as if there was anything wrong when I felt it iykwim, so I'm not sure exactly what it was. Anyway, it felt much better after the surgery (so much so that DD was conceived very soon afterwards!). I'd mention it to the HV or GP, and say that you'd like to be referred - 10 months is right

pearlgirl Fri 31-Dec-10 00:16:04

I would get it checked as you have had time for it to settle down. I had pain along my scar after ds1 and mentioned it to my GP and was referred back and had it sorted out.

Christmastreedelivery Fri 31-Dec-10 00:24:24

I agree, get it checked.

Some women do find they have different sensations when having sex, after any type of delivery. I have no research on that, it is just what wone have told me over the years.
A combination of dryness, change in position of cervix, tone of vaginal wall and pelvic floor and so on.

However if you feel it is the scar and it is the pain you relate to your episiotomy, then I'd certainly get it checked. There can be tiny adhesions, or low grade infection, or bumpy tissue. All manner of things that can be sprted with time, treatment, or both.
Even if you aren't sure where the pain is from, get it looked at. No point puttng up with it if you don't have to.

Congratulations on your ds!

AKMD Fri 31-Dec-10 22:30:47

Thanks everyone, I will get it checked out and see if anything can be done.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now