Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Warwickshire or Coventry Hospital?

(12 Posts)
Scruffyhound Mon 27-Dec-10 10:49:17

I have worked in the NHS and the private health I have not heard one good thing about Cov hospital so far from people how have worked there and the local newspapers. But then working in the North staffs hospital I used to feel sometimes the local papers were a bit harsh about north staffs. I live in Rugby if that helps?! smile

BertieBottlesOfMulledWine Mon 27-Dec-10 10:52:25

I gave birth at Warwick and I had a good experience, the midwives were all really nice. Are you talking about a different one though?

My friend (who also lives in Rugby) has just had a baby at UCH and from what she said, the care sounded really good, though the c-section rate is higher than at Warwick. (She did have a vaginal birth though)

lunafire Mon 27-Dec-10 15:41:13

I gave birth at the Walsgrave, Coventry and the postnatal care was awful. But this was 6 years ago, before they moved to the new building so things might have improved since then...

Bue Mon 27-Dec-10 15:47:59

I would definitely choose Warwick. I have heard better things about it and I think the overall atmosphere is somewhat nicer (there is a virtual tour of the maternity unit on their website).

Are you allowed to give birth in a different trust? Leicester Royal Infirmary is about the same distance from Rugby as Warwick but they have a midwifery led unit there.

Scruffyhound Mon 27-Dec-10 16:53:22

Thanks for the input I thought I was right. I had my son at North Staffs Uni hospital they were fab. I could not fault them. I have thought about having this baby there again and stay at my mums. But then partner might mot make it in time for birth. I thought Cov might be a bit pants so thanks for feedback. I have worked with people whom worked there and said avoid it if you can. Thanks again! Oh I have looked at the virtual website for Warwick it looks nice. smile

MrsCratchit Mon 27-Dec-10 21:24:58

I ended up in Warwick, on the Swan ward for a couple of nights this month. I live in London, but was on holiday in the Cotswolds when I gad a slight bleed at 30 weeks. The midwives were brilliant, as was the sonographer I saw for an emergency scan and both consultants. Obviously, I don't have experience of Coventry but highly recommend Warwick based on my experience.

stoatie Wed 29-Dec-10 20:08:13

Warwick is a much smaller unit than UCHW - like all units it can be quiet or manic - lot of Rugby women choose to birth there. Although it is Consultant led Unit lots of women have midwifery led care. Nice pool if you fancy water birth I believe Rugby community midwives are pro home birth if you fancy that option

Scruffyhound Thu 30-Dec-10 17:23:15

Thanks so long as what I thought was right Im really glad you have all taken the time to write a review of the hospitals. I just hope its not too busy when I get there?! smile

norfolkBRONZEturkey Thu 30-Dec-10 17:32:41

I was transferred to coventry when pregnant with dd. (prem labour)
It was horrible. I arrived in the early hours by ambulance and wa sput in a delivery room until could deal with me. Nnoone came to see me all night and all I could hear was screams. A terrified woman in prem labour. so DH left at 6 in the morning to come and kick some bottom. A doc then put in a canula just in case (very painfully) and I was stuck in a side room. Someone took my water away and didn't bring it back. Noone told me I was supposed to go and collect my dinner from a trolley and as I was bed rest in a room I didn't see this. I eventually got transferred out by pleading with my old sho (from previous hopsital) who went all out and found a place for me at nnuh.
Couldnt wait to leave. It felt like a prison an dI was told by an ambulance driver this was because it was designed by the same people who designed a lot of our prisons.

To sum up I would avoid Coventry unless they have improved greatly (pity cos thy spent a fortune)

norfolkBRONZEturkey Thu 30-Dec-10 17:34:21

Sorry for typos

Scruffyhound Thu 30-Dec-10 19:27:29

Oh my god so sorry to hear of your treatment. That sounds awful. I heard Cov was bad by people who have worked in the path labs there. But then north staffs gets greif and I have always been treated very well there and when I worked there in the path labs I found it to be very good. So was just wondering if Cov was getting the same flack. But it appears not! It just seems to be a rubbish hospital that no one has one good thing to say about it! I do like to give things a chance and listen to other people but it sounds like Warwick is the way to go!! Im so sorry you were treated like that bet you were so scared. shock

norfolkBRONZEturkey Thu 30-Dec-10 20:28:32

I was at the time. It was 4 years ago now though and we went through a lot of stress at that time so its all part of the horrible blur that now feels a distant dream luckily.

It was the early days of the new building so I would have hoped they would have improved but from what I have heard they havent really

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: