Talk

Advanced search

Experiences of ELCS under general anaesthetic

(7 Posts)
Helloginger Sun 26-Dec-10 22:52:35

I'm currently in hospital, 35 weeks with BIG twins, both of whom are transverse. I was admitted because there's a risk that if my waters broke, the cord may prolapse in which case I have to have a crash section under a GA. If nothing happens and they stay put, they'll be delivered later this week.

So, what's it like delivering under GA? Do you have any trouble bonding? I had a planned section last time and though it was scary, it was all fine and a lovely experience which I'm keen to repeat. Also if they do a fast section my husband will miss it too!

Anyone willing to share their experiences? (of GA delivery or risk of cord prolapse.) thanks!

Helloginger Sun 26-Dec-10 22:54:13

Der! The title should read CS, not ELCS! My mind is not my own!

starfishmummy Sun 26-Dec-10 23:22:40

Hi Hello
I had a CS under GA due to problems with DS.
As it was a GA DH was not allowed to be there with me but they took DS straight out to him so he got first cuddle! First evening/night I was hooked up to blood transfusion and had catheter so made things a bit awkward but still managed some cuddles.

Didn't have any problems bonding with DS - in spite of opinion (before he was born) he didn't need special care (he has disabilities) and stayed with me constantly afterwards as had own room.

kitstwins Sun 26-Dec-10 23:35:34

I had my twins by caesarean under GA. I wasn't going to reply to this as it really was a horrible experience for me and I found it very traumatic, but then I thought some tips might be useful. What I will say is that, unlike me, you're already prepared for the scenario, which I think is hugely beneficial. My GA delivery was a total shock - epidurals and spinal blocks failed after an epically crap five week stay in hospital beforehand - so it was all a nasty shock and out of the blue. I invested too much in the thought that I'd get to see my babies being born, actually took it as a certainty (it never occurred to me that something might happen to prevent it) and, even worse, I was holding it up as my 'reward' for getting through a long stay in hospital and traumatic pregnancy. So not seeing their birth really knocked me sideways. Had I known of the possibility I'd have found it much easier and we also could have prepared a few things beforehand.

The likelihood is that your husband won't be allowed in theatre for a GA caesarean. We begged and pleaded for my husband to be allowed to stay but we were told that the process of tubal intubation was quite scary for husbands/family to watch and they needed to focuss fully on mother and babies. It may be possible to argue otherwise with your consultant so you could discuss this beforehand. If not, ask one of the theatre staff to take pictures of the delivery so you have a record afterwards. I'd also recommend getting your consultant to talk through your theatre notes afterwards - it can help paint a picture. I have a total blank of what happened in theatre and I'd have loved to know the small things. Insignificant maybe, but it's suprising how it can all help paint a picture of a pivotal event. It would also be nice to be able to tell your babies about their birth further down the line. My daughters have asked me questions recently (I'm pregnant again) and there are just some things I can't tell them, which I'm rather sad about.

Also, ask if your husband can have skin-to-skin with the babies post birth if that's possible. You'll be out of it being stitched up and then, when you've come round from the anaesethetic, too groggy for a good few hours afterwards. If you want to feed your babies ask if the midwives can put the babies to your breast to feed whilst you're in HDU. Even if you're out of it they can still be held to you for skin-to-skin or a little feed. Doing the 'normal' things post delivery can help I think.

On a practical level you might need stronger painkillers afterwards so don't be shy about asking for stronger stuff if needs be.

I hope this helps. I'm certain you'll get some posts from people who've found it very straightforward and had no issues afterwards, but I did want to give you some tips from my perspective. I think if you're prepared for the scenario then that really helps as it makes it less of a shock. And making sure staff give you a picture of the events in theatre, via a debrief and some photos, etc. will really help.

Best of luck and I hope it goes really well. After my awful delivery I did struggle with bonding for a few weeks but I can honestly say that no one could love my daughters more than me. The crappy delivery has possibly made them even more precious to me than otherwise.

Hope this helps.

Undutchable Sun 26-Dec-10 23:52:35

Long story short I had an emcs owing to something being wrong with me, but they didn't know what. Husband was at home in Holland, with flu, I was in the UK. Of course I wasn't awake for the birth but next morning I discovered that DS2 had massive breathing problems and ended up on a ventilator in another hospital....

Once I was better I was transferred, but other than express milk there wasn't much I could do, especially as he was very wired up after he had two or three seizures.

I didn't cuddle him until he was 8 days old (When he was breathing by himself).

I breast fed him, I loved him, I bonded almost immediately. It never occurred to me not to. I just knew he was mine and I had to look after him.

He's lying next to me now and is perfectly fine. And I'm still in love.

1944girl Mon 27-Dec-10 19:32:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

1944girl Mon 27-Dec-10 19:37:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now