Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

2nd baby back to back (again) - will it go to induction again? Your experiences welcome :)

(7 Posts)
BunnyBaby Sat 18-Dec-10 20:34:25

Thanks for taking the time to read.

I'm currently 39 weeks with DC2. DC1 was posterior too and never seemed to get low enough resulting in induction at 42+3. This was a tough labour with botched epidurals etc, and although I managed to push DC1 out, I am keen to avoid the experience of induction and have a more natural birth.

I saw the midwife at 37 weeks and baby is posterior again. I have been careful to adopt optimal foetal positioning in both pregnancies. This time I have an anterior placenta which may be encouraging back to back again. No amount of crawling and resting on all fours has been successful in getting baby to move.

I've had some symptoms of latent labour every few days or so, which I did not get until 11 days over with DC1.

Could anyone let me know if they were induced for a back to back baby pushing them to the 42 week threshold, dis they manage any subsequent births without induction. Did any of these subsequent births begin a but stop start too?

Any hints and tips on how to keep going would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time, I'm just worrying a little as I enter the final countdown :-)

pigleychez Sat 18-Dec-10 23:04:44

My first DD was born Back to back. 27 hours of hideous labour. Was induced at 40+12 and can symapthise at not wanting induction again. Its something that worried me when pregnant with DD2.

However she was a completely different story.
Started labour naturally 4 days early.
Went from waters breaking to fully dilated in 2 hours at home with no pain relief. Typically DD2 had turned during that time hmm Because of this she got stuck on the way out so need some ventouse help. But only 6 hours in total. MW said if she hadnt turned she could well of been born in the car on the way to the hospital!shock

Whatever happens though you will have your georgous baby at the end grin

quechelle Mon 20-Dec-10 15:18:17

my 1st was bk2bk.... no one realised until she was out....i didnt need induction i went into labour at 41+4, altho it did take 37+ hours a drip to try n speed it up, 2nd degree cut n vacuum....dont know if that was cos she was my 1st or the positioning. although number 2 flew out 1 day early and the right way round thankfully. good luck on the birth.

quechelle Mon 20-Dec-10 15:18:17

my 1st was bk2bk.... no one realised until she was out....i didnt need induction i went into labour at 41+4, altho it did take 37+ hours a drip to try n speed it up, 2nd degree cut n vacuum....dont know if that was cos she was my 1st or the positioning. although number 2 flew out 1 day early and the right way round thankfully. good luck on the birth.

CharlieBoo Mon 20-Dec-10 23:19:34

Hi, both mine were back to back... I didn't know with ds until they told me in labour. It was such a traumatic labour I don't really know how that resolved, but he came out with the help of forceps.

At 37 weeks with my daughter, they told me she was back to back and I was concerned but by the time I got to hospital (8cm dilated) she had turned and the birth was so quick and straightforward. Try not to stress your beautiful baby will be here soon. Good luck.

BunnyBaby Tue 21-Dec-10 06:55:43

Thank you for your reaponses, really helpful :-)

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 21-Dec-10 11:36:28

You can still help to get your baby into a more favourable postion Bunny, by adopting postions that keep your back parallel to the floor during contractions so leaning over a birthing ball (not bouncing on it), all fours or leaning against a wall. This will give your baby the best chance of turning as you are working with the contractions.

Avoid lying on your back and if you're up for it your could try using a pool for the pain relief as it will help with your positions and pain in your back. It should also help to make labour more efficient too.

Good luck, I had an OP baby last time and had failed epidurals, ending in an emcs and I am going to try and adopt the above methods if this baby happens to be an op postion too as I want to give myself and my baby the best chance.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: