Talk

Advanced search

Sweep: Did it work for you?

(24 Posts)
trytobebrave Fri 17-Dec-10 20:23:38

I'm 40+6 today with dc2 and had a sweep at lunchtime. The midwife said I am 2-3cm dilated, the head is fully engaged and membranes were 'bulging'.

I felt some very strong Baxton Hicks or maybe mild contractions for an hour or so afterwards and had a small show a couple of hours ago but now everything has stopped completely.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Did your sweep work?

I didn't get anywhere near this far along with dc1 who came 3 weeks early. I'm getting scared of an induction and really hoping this sweep will get things moving.

TIA for any answers.

rubyslippers Fri 17-Dec-10 20:26:43

Mine worked

Went into labour 2 hours after it and had DD 7 hours later

Can you bear to have sex?!

thisisyesterday Fri 17-Dec-10 20:28:45

i had one on a thursday morning, and went into labour early hours of friday morning

not totally convinced it was the sweep, as i'd had runs of BH for the previous 2 evenings anyway and felt things were moving, and she said i was already 4cm

so, it might have happened anyway, dunno. it was quite a while after having it that i did go into labour

trytobebrave Fri 17-Dec-10 20:29:49

That's good to hear! Dh not around until late this evening and I'm not at all keen to have sex at the moment tbh! Do you think that's what worked for you though?

trytobebrave Fri 17-Dec-10 20:31:02

Thanks thisisyesterday. I've had lots of BH too so maybe that's a good sign....

rubyslippers Fri 17-Dec-10 20:31:11

I never got to the sex bit!

I went into labour so quickly but the MW highly recommended it!

trytobebrave Fri 17-Dec-10 20:35:19

Hmmm ok, will have to try and talk myself round! Currently bouncing on birth ball and considering getting the breast pump out for some nipple stimulation which I read on here can help.

Ebb Fri 17-Dec-10 20:40:38

I had a sweep at 38+6 and the Consultant said exactly the same, 2-3cm dilated, membrances bulging. Had the sweep at 11amish, was warned I might have a few painful braxton hicks so ignored the pains I had in the early afternoon, got in the bath at 3.30pm to see if the pains would go away, things picked up at 4.30pm, hospital at 6.30pm and DD arrived at 8.16pm so yes, sweep very much worked and I am forever indepted to the lovely consultant for doing it. grin Hope yours works soon too.

trytobebrave Fri 17-Dec-10 20:42:44

Oh thanks for that great story Ebb!! Maybe I'll try a bath next.

soniaweir Sat 18-Dec-10 11:14:31

hi i had a sweep and went into labour a few hours labour. I was 40 + 5. he said nothing was ready so did not think it would happen but a few hours after had really bad pressure on my bum and then had what i thought was BH but turnd into the most intense contractions so dashed to hospital but was only 2 cm!!! stayed in as was in so much pain and they gave me an epidural and said that my contractions were so intense that my previous c section scar was going to rupture so ended up with anothe c section! probably TMI but that what happened when my sweep worked!

manchestermummy Sat 18-Dec-10 11:32:09

Worked for me too - had sweep at 40+3, lots of BH during the day, was told to go home and have sex, which we did the following night and 90 minutes labour I went into labour. And 3 hours after that DD2 was born!

Good luck!

manchestermummy Sat 18-Dec-10 11:32:30

90 minutes later, even.

TheNextMrsClaus Sat 18-Dec-10 11:34:45

Yep, worked for me. Though it might have been the threat of imminent elcs that worked too.

trytobebrave Sat 18-Dec-10 14:03:43

Thanks everyone. Have had quite a lot of show through the night but still no contractions. Giving up hope now really but I still have 5 days until induction so it could still happen.

littleElif Sun 19-Dec-10 16:03:38

sweep did not work with DC1 (was induced in the end) but sent me into labour with DC2 (contractions came 2 days after having the sweep though - nothing instant)

Firawla Sun 19-Dec-10 19:01:35

mine didn't work at all but yours sounds quite positive, and with 5 days to go hopefully you will be fine, it does sound like your labour should be quite soon really from what you've said i doubt you will end up induced, but good luck!

trytobebrave Sun 19-Dec-10 20:05:45

Thanks for your messages. I'm still waiting. I was told it would work in 48 hours if it was going to and that's passed. The show seems to have stopped now and still no sign of contractions.

I'm getting a bit despondent. It's not so much the still being pregnant, I think I would be ok with going on for a while longer if I knew for sure it would happen at some point, but the looming induction is worrying me. I know they aren't always awful but people seem to be lining up to tell me their horror stories.

I also keep dissolving in to tears at the thought of being in hospital on Christmas Day and missing seeing ds open his presents. Hormones have a lot to answer for....

beckie90 Mon 20-Dec-10 13:26:13

i had the exact same as you trytobrave. i was 2cm when she did mine and said i was very favourable, i just started getting loads of show afterwards, but nothing happend then, and i was induced at 12 days over, which i hated i hope i go naturally this time

greenbeanie Mon 20-Dec-10 14:15:06

I had a sweep at 40+6 with dc3, lots of BH and period pain but nothing happened. Induced at 12 days over by having my waters broken, baby arrived in 1hr40mins weighing 11lb11ozs!!

Good luck and i hope things start to happen soon, it felt like the longest few days being overdue.

fantus Mon 20-Dec-10 14:23:07

Hi trytobebrave. I had a sweep at 40+6 with my first DC. I had a show and contractions started around 4 hours later. These lasted into the evening but then tailed off.

My waters didn't break until 4 days later - I went to the hospital to be told I was already 8cm dilated! So although the sweep didn't work immediately I believe I had been slowly dilating since having it - my labour was only 6 hours in total, so don't be too despondent. There could be plenty going on down below without you knowing about it smile

And good luck when things do get going, I'm sure everything will be fine

pud1 Mon 20-Dec-10 14:29:03

my mw did my sweep on my due dat( have no idea why) was the same as you 2/3cm. bled quite a bit after but had the baby within 15 hours.

trytobebrave Mon 20-Dec-10 15:09:38

Thanks everyone. I think it's going to be induction for me too as still nothing.

greenbeanie oh my goodness, well done you on delivering such a healthy sized baby!

trytobebrave Mon 20-Dec-10 15:13:57

beckie90, Good luck for this time, I hope it goes the way you want it. This is my dc2. My waters went went naturally at 37+3 last time and he was born less than 12 hours later so just goes to show it can be really different second time round. Hope it works out for you.

trytobebrave Mon 27-Dec-10 21:19:15

Just wanted to update in case it helps anyone searching for info about sweeps.

My beautiful dd finally arrived at 40+11, a very quick labour with no intervention or pain relief the day before I was booked to go in for induction. I was very lucky.

I'm not sure if the sweep worked or if it would have happened anyway but that's my experience.

Thanks for all your advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now