Talk

Advanced search

Nipple stimulation - success?

(5 Posts)
luckykitty Wed 15-Dec-10 22:34:54

Does this work? and should it only be attempted when you get to 40wks? will anything/bad things/good things happen if you start earlier?.... hmm

SelinaDoula Thu 16-Dec-10 10:38:03

Nipple stimulation, can encourage contractions, but usually I would say when you are in early labour already, I would suggest it if a client was in early labour or slow labour or if they were under pressure to start labour (maybe very overdue). Another client expressed colostrum to store in case her baby needed topping up (she was diabetic) and did not want to give formula.
www.birthingnaturally.net/cn/technique/nipple.html
Selina

luckykitty Thu 16-Dec-10 12:15:28

thank you

TheBreastmilksOnMe Thu 16-Dec-10 14:58:31

You will need to do it quite a lot for it to be effective though I'd imagine. I am currently 34 weeks pregnant and DS is breastfeeding so it will be interesting to see what effect, if any, it has if he decides to have a snack when I'm due or in early labour. It doesn't seem to have any effect on me now, such as an increase in braxton hicks or any twinges which makes me think that you need to do a lot of it to get any effect at all.

luckykitty Sat 18-Dec-10 12:21:42

Thanks for your advice I am just exploring options to get stuff started if she needs tempting out! thanks again! x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: