Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Perineal massage. Really?

(21 Posts)
GlitteryBalls Sat 11-Dec-10 14:16:50

Just been given lovely step-by-step instructions from MW. I don't think I can reach and frankly I find the idea of dp doing it a bit yuk (though I'm sure he could be persuaded). Does it work? Also, If you are stretching it every day for 5 weeks (am 35 weeks) will it have less chance of, well, going back? Obviously avoiding tearing is the priority, but if it is just one short sharp shock in childbirth compared to systematically stretching it for weeks before-hand...

UnpureAsTheDrivenSHOW Sat 11-Dec-10 14:19:14

I don't think the goal is to stretch it to permanent bagginess. grin

It's just improving elasticity. Don't do it if you don't want to. I didn't bother. It hurt. And I preferred a nice sit down and an earl grey.

GlitteryBalls Sat 11-Dec-10 14:23:17

I sort of had a go earlier and yes, I think it hurt a bit too. But as I said I couldn't reach properly to insert 2 thumbs the necessary 2 inches hmm. And I hadn't had the recommended warm bath or lubed up with vegetable oil! grin

NoHunIntended Sat 11-Dec-10 15:01:18

It wasn't pleasant or that comfortable for me (and yes, I had to get DH to do it), but I didn't tear when I gave birth. I like to think doing our homework helped!
(Also laboured a lot in water, so that also helped me not tear.)

ellesbelles79 Sun 12-Dec-10 23:30:08

Well I cant reach and theres no way im asking my OH to help me....blush

togarama Mon 13-Dec-10 01:08:31

My MW gave me instructions and a bottle of lovely rose-scented oil for this.

Having had a bout of thrush at 7-8 months pregnant I really didn't want to be poking around down there with oils or other products. The evidence seemed quite mixed on whether it worked to prevent tears tbh. In my case, I decided it wasn't worth it.

I just put the oil in the bath and had a nice, relaxing rose-scented bath once a week.

I didn't tear, thankfully.

Gay40 Mon 13-Dec-10 01:13:37

I might give it go in a bit. Neither of us are pregnant, but it sounds like a fun way to pass the evening.

GlitteryBalls Mon 13-Dec-10 12:53:15

ellesbelles79 - feel the same way as you do. I think dp will have to see enough over the coming weeks without having to do that too - nothing sexy about it IMO!

Gay40 - whatever floats your boat! grin

Gay40 Mon 13-Dec-10 13:23:39

I don't fancy the vegetable oil though. Reminiscent of chip shops...not a winning arona in the act of love. Unless you are from Manchestaaa.

GlitteryBalls Mon 13-Dec-10 14:11:45

They tend to cook their chips in beef dripping up north though... It's solid at room temp but will soften up at body temp so you could always use a bit of that?

BaronessBomburst Mon 13-Dec-10 16:01:42

I didn't do it myself - it just didn't appeal, but I had a fantastic midwife who oiled, stretched and massaged me with each contraction during the pushing stage. I didn't tear, and I'm sure it was because of her attention.

Gay40 Mon 13-Dec-10 19:41:41

Are you sure she wasn't a midwife but a passerby who just liked a bit of back door action?

GlitteryBalls Tue 14-Dec-10 11:12:24

Hmm I think Gay40 has got the wrong "end" of the stick... hmm

lucielooo Tue 14-Dec-10 13:09:30

And not sure how that end of the stick would help with childbirth either confused

InaraSerra Tue 14-Dec-10 13:20:00

I did perineal massage with all 3 of mine, first 2 were about 8lb each, and both came through with an arm adjacent to their head, (and one in a caul), my third was 10lb 4oz.

I didn't tear with any of them. I used Almond Oil..

Gay40 Tue 14-Dec-10 14:40:47

I am laughing, really grin

BaronessBomburst Tue 14-Dec-10 15:15:44

Me too! grin

happycamel Tue 14-Dec-10 19:53:51

What stuns me is those of you who are intimate enough with your partners to get pregnant but not intimate enough for him to put a thumb up there!

littleshinyone Tue 14-Dec-10 19:59:10

i did it for the last 5-6 weeks, had a tiny little scratch type tear beyond the bit I'd stretched (if you see what i mean), so I think if I hadn't done it I'd definitely have had a deeper tear

(hour and a half labour, 10 mins pushing, so not much timefor natural stretching...)

good luck!

Engels Tue 14-Dec-10 20:06:09

Yes definitely recommend. You can't overstretch it so don't worry about that grin and you'll want it as flexible as possible when you give birth. I used Zita West oil but tbh olive oil would've been fine. No perineal tearing although did have some labial tearing. And no way DH was doing it. Nothing remotely sexy or attractive about it - too much like a medical examination [shudder]

After labour, when everything is still a bit sore massaging the outside bit where legs join body (the bit that'd strain if you did the splits) help tremedously.

JazzieJeff Wed 15-Dec-10 20:50:47

Hi OP; I meant to do the whole perenial massage thing but I didn't and I didn't tear anything down there at all. I had an epi though so I was able to stop pushing when the midwife said and I credit that to not having any damage. It isn't for everyone, granted but it enabled me to relax and listen to the midwife properly.

Try not to worry though; the birth is a teeny tiny insignificant detail in your baby's life. Three days later I was like 'birth? What birth?!' I honestly didn't care grin DS is 9 weeks now and everything down there has been normal, size wise and everything.

You'll be fine!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: