Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

can I request a stretch & sweep at 40 weeks?

(8 Posts)
wintersnow Wed 08-Dec-10 10:03:31

With DD1 & DS2 (Ds was 2 yrs ago) I was given a stretch and sweep on my due date as I'd been in stop start labour for a week. This time round they have said they won't do it until 41 weeks. I'm due tomorrow and had a lot of pain due to sciatica & general aches in my hips which have made it hard to walk, I also tore quite badly with both other DC's and don't want the baby getting too big if I go overdue by a week as chances are he'll be bigger anyway.... Has anyone had a stretch & sweep at 40 weeks recently?

HollyBollyBooBoo Wed 08-Dec-10 15:33:07

No, I requested one at 40 weeks due to the fact I was moving abroad imminently but they wouldn't budge...had to play by the rules and had one at 41 weeks!

Guess it might be MW dependent though? Def worth asking the question.

Good luck!

lainey1981 Wed 08-Dec-10 22:46:44

Hi, I asked for one at my final midwife appointment - when I was 39+5 the midwife agreed but it was unsuccessful as my cervix was too posterior. I was then offered (and accepted) sweeps at the post dates clinic at 40+3 and 40+5. This was a couple of weeks ago - DS is 9 days old. Think the 2nd sweep was successful as went into labour the next evening.
good luck smile

Chelle1986 Fri 10-Dec-10 16:01:58

I had one at 40+1 - depends on the MW I think.x

Marjee Sat 11-Dec-10 09:43:56

I was refused one at 40+1 confused. Didn't matter anyway as I went into labour that night!

izzybiz Sat 11-Dec-10 09:47:12

I had one at 40 weeks on the dot!

My previous two Dc were born at 38 weeks, so by 40 weeks I was desperate! My bump was absolutely huge, I could barely walk anymore, in agony with SPD, so my MW agreed, Ds was born later that night, weighing 10lb 10oz! No wonder I was so uncomfortable! grin

I would ask!

GlitteryBalls Sat 11-Dec-10 12:59:42

You can ask. I think it will depend on how your cervix is too. I think they do it at 41 weeks as your cervix is more likely to be soft enough at that stage to do it properly.

kellestar Sat 11-Dec-10 19:45:23

I was offered a SS yesterday without requesting one, OB checked the position of my cervix and was soft and a little long. 39+5, due back next week if no action since. I had heard that they don't normally offer them until 41 weeks, but quite ready to get this LO out now. SPD and Sciatica is achey.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: