Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Best disposable briefs?

(17 Posts)
elk4baby Tue 07-Dec-10 18:41:44

What brand disposable briefs would you recommend? Any notes on their sizing (e.g. Carriwell are said to be smaller than stated)?

Himalaya Tue 07-Dec-10 18:45:39

I wouldn't bother - they are all scratchy and uncomfortable. Just wear some comfy old pants that have seen better days and chuck them away if you need to.

TabithaTwitchet Tue 07-Dec-10 18:45:46

I would just get cheap cotton ones from Tesco/Asda wherever. Costs the same and much more comfortable, if the disposable briefs I got are anything to go by (Mothercare ones, were v nasty)

stickersarecurrency Tue 07-Dec-10 18:47:54

Agree. Don't bother, they're horrid. Matalan do fab cheap high-waisted multi-packs in black which are just the ticket.

Igglystuffedfullofturkey Tue 07-Dec-10 18:48:15

Get some big short type pants. Much better. I did have short type boots disposal ones which last a few washes. They were post op ones and great for holding in the mattresses maternity pads (actually used tena ladies which were so much better than maternity ones).

AddictedtoCrunchies Tue 07-Dec-10 18:48:59

Don't bother. Get Primark apple-catchers and just throw them when you're done. Far comfier and probably cheaper too.

TheCrackFox Tue 07-Dec-10 19:00:35

Agree with everyone else - disposable pants are the work of the devil. Just buy a multi-pac, in a scary size, from a cheapo shop.

MoonUnitAlpha Tue 07-Dec-10 19:02:47

I just got a pack of big Primark ones - cost the same as disposables anyway.

I was expecting everything to be drenched in blood, but actually it wasn't at all and I still use my hospital pants and nighties now!

IckleJess Tue 07-Dec-10 19:03:34

Don't buy disposable pants - you will rustle as you walk along the post-natal ward <speaks from bitter experience>

Primark or Tesco sell packs of 5 for about £2, much better

Himalaya Tue 07-Dec-10 19:09:37

Disposable breast pads are rubbish too. Like stuffing hotel bar coasters in your bra.

thrifty Tue 07-Dec-10 19:22:36

lol at 'rustle as you walk' i bought tesco value big pants, they were very comfy, and just chucked them out when finished with them. IIRC they were cheaper than disposables at the time.

matildarosepink Tue 07-Dec-10 19:31:39

The other thing to remember is, you'll probably be using whatever you buy for at least a month, so it'll be cheaper in the long run. Disposable pants are awful, you feel like a total leper in them (rustly, tight in all the wrong places, and totally useless if you have an unplanned C section). At least big pants are soft and comfy, catch everything and if you get black ones then what it's catching isn't so visible... you feel more 'back to normal' in real ones.

elk4baby Tue 07-Dec-10 20:03:33

Thanks everyone!
Seems it's not just me who hated the disposable briefs. I thought I simply bought the 'wrong' kind (Mothercare, larger than needed size, per someone's review on the site - they were huge, rustly and very uncomfy).
I'll have a look at getting some dark-coloured cheap ones this time.

sh77 Wed 08-Dec-10 10:37:11

Another thumbs up for Primark cheapies.

daisystone Thu 09-Dec-10 17:45:01

Well I bought some Boots disposable ones in a large size and I found them VERY comfy! I was surprised because everyone was giving disposables a bad wrap. They didn't give in and the fact that you just bin them after wearing is great.

I have actually bought some more as I am still bleeding and they are so handy.

daisystone Thu 09-Dec-10 17:45:42

Meant they didn't DIG IN not GIVE IN

theborrower Thu 09-Dec-10 19:45:48

I wore disposable ones from Boots in hospital (same size as I normally wear) and wore big granny pants from M&S when I got home. I had an EMCS and these were great - high waisted so they didn't rub my scar and tender tummy. I'd definitely recommend getting some in - £4 for a 5 pack I think. Bargain. In fact, I still wear them a few months on sometimes as they're so comfy blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: