Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

4th baby - how long?

(7 Posts)
nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Mon 06-Dec-10 17:36:35

So I know this is a how long is a piece of string type question but having had my consultant laugh in my face today (in the nicest possible way!) at the idea that my 4th baby will do anything other than pop out like a champagne cork I feel like canvassing opinions grin

How long was your 4th labour and was it much shorter than your previous ones?

Thanks

ragged Mon 06-Dec-10 17:38:36

It was about the same as Babys2 and 3, 2 hours from thinking "This is really it" to baby being born.

Probably would have been faster if I had realised a lot sooner that standing up in the best position for delivery.

nancydrewrockinaroundxmastree Mon 06-Dec-10 17:45:22

Oh good god and lol at standing up!

Was your 1st labour long?

bellylicious Mon 06-Dec-10 17:59:40

not quite got to the 4th yet lol but 3 is close enough eh?

these times were from 1swt contraction i dont do a big build up i do dramatic omg that was a contraction lol

1st ds born in 7hrs
2nd ds born in1hr 42 mins
3rd dd born in 1hr 38 mins

so if you were me id say youd have a fab chance of popping that baby out like a champagne cork lol

mungogerry Mon 06-Dec-10 20:36:16

1st - born 3hrs51 from first inkling of a twinge.

2nd born 1hr55 from first inkling of a twinge.

3rd was breech and twinges never came even after waters went, so opted for a section.

4th born 1hr55 from first tiny twinge.

So 4th the same as 2nd. But the actual labour bit rather than twinges was under an hour for both, whereas it was about 3 hours for my 1st.

Loopymumsy Tue 07-Dec-10 06:43:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

sarahbuff Tue 07-Dec-10 14:01:22

Just gave birth to my fourth. (A girl, after three boys!) grin My first was 3 hours from 3cm to delivered, second was 2 hours, third was 45 minutes(!) and this time it was more like 2.5hrs. However, had the midwife showed up sooner, it would have been shorter (I was waiting to push because it was a homebirth and the midwife took forever to arrive due to traffic.) All that said, it was a weird labour because it was not steadily progressing like my others, which started with mild contractions far apart, that built up in intensity and frequency steadily until baby was born. This time my contractions were irregular from the start to finish, sometimes 4 minutes apart then going back to 10 minutes apart, with loads of pain in between and I was on my feet walking around the ENTIRE labour, so gravity was helping too! I guess you just never know. Midwives all say the third can go either way, but for me it was the fourth that threw me off!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: