Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Why have a sweep?

(24 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Mon 06-Dec-10 12:55:33

Hi there

I am 39 +2 and have been reading that if my cervix is favourable I might be offered a sweep a week or so after 40 weeks. I feel fine and am in no hurry to get the baby out but I am 40 so wonder how early they may start talking about induction.

Presumably a sweep would be offered first, but are there any real reasons why I should have one?

GetDownYouWillFall Mon 06-Dec-10 12:59:02

Did you mean to put this in "Pregnancy"?

broodycoilsout Mon 06-Dec-10 13:10:38

hi,
with our 1st i had 3 or 4 sweeps, i think 3, by 2 different midwives. for me it made no difference at all, she was born several days after the final sweep- 8 days overdue.
though it is meant 2 get things started for some ppl

good luck

DuelingFanjo Mon 06-Dec-10 13:19:26

OH shit, sorry. Yes I did mean for it to be in Pregnancy.

I'll see if I can get it moved. Massive apologies.

DuelingFanjo Mon 06-Dec-10 13:47:35

Thak you for moving mumsnetHQ

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 06-Dec-10 13:54:11

Message withdrawn

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 06-Dec-10 13:55:02

Message withdrawn

DuelingFanjo Mon 06-Dec-10 14:11:36

I am having some Pre-MIL visit/being forced to attend Christmas dinner with a newborn nerves. wink I don't want to encourage this baby out too soon.

Am definitely going to refuse an induction so long as it's healthy to do so, but I read so much about people having sweeps as a matter of course I don't want one sprung on me.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 06-Dec-10 14:35:25

Message withdrawn

muslimah28 Mon 06-Dec-10 15:42:16

Agree with what starlightmckenzie says on sweeps and on expectant management. Only benefit to me of the sweep i had- which is good in itself- is that it got me used to what to expect from the internal examinations which i was very nervous about. So i dont think its a bad thing but i justdont think its clear it brings on labour!

mousesma Mon 06-Dec-10 15:47:29

I had 4 sweeps when I was overdue with DD none of them worked. They will certainly not be able to "spring" a sweep on you if you don't want one though.

darleneconnor Mon 06-Dec-10 15:53:41

Just have sex instead!

DuelingFanjo Mon 06-Dec-10 16:08:59

Just got back from midwife and she says I won't be seen now until 20th (EDD is 11th) and I will be offered a Sweep then but I did say to her I may decide not to. She was chilled about it. I would love it if the baby stayed in until 20th to be honest. Of course, anything could happen between now and then.

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 06-Dec-10 16:45:40

Message withdrawn

DuelingFanjo Mon 06-Dec-10 17:17:21

Apparently they will need to do an examination - though I guess I can refuse that if I like - but they won't do a sweep unless I want one It'll be a different midwife, and a home visit.

I guess I have read so much about pushy housewives and also about people who are desparate to have a sweep, even at 38 weeks, that I got a bit scared grin

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 06-Dec-10 17:22:17

Message withdrawn

Samvet Mon 06-Dec-10 17:26:19

I think sweeps only really work if everything is ready as they cause prostaglandin release. Depends if you want baby out. I was 11 days over and had alot of pelvic pain so wanted him out - had a sweep and 12 hours later went into labour, was due to be induced the next day. So I had it to see if things would crack on and I could avoid induction.

DuelingFanjo Mon 06-Dec-10 17:39:13

Ah - ok. I hope they don't try to do one by stealth! I thought mabey they might be checking to see if my cervix is favourable but then I suppose if I decide I don't want a sweep then there's no reason to know if it's favourable?

StarlightMcKenzie Mon 06-Dec-10 17:40:48

Message withdrawn

darleneconnor Mon 06-Dec-10 18:41:36

'pushy housewives...desperate to have a sleep' lol wink

at this stage an 'examination' is just code for 'sweep'

darleneconnor Mon 06-Dec-10 18:42:45

obv I meant 'sweep' grin

thefatladyscreams Wed 08-Dec-10 13:01:44

Dueling - just had my first at 41. Saw a consultant just before my due date and they wanted to do a sweep as a matter of course. I refused and was so glad I did so as had great natural labour 1 week later when my body was ready.

Can understand that some people want a sweep as they are keen to kick things off but if you're quite happy to wait, I don't see the need for one at this stage.

carlyvita Sat 11-Dec-10 17:41:30

like your attitude StarlightMcKenzie!

This NHS anxiety about when a baby should arrive is totally nuerotic and unhelpful and based generally on badly colated evidence and bad practice. In my opinion.

Humph.

broodycoilsout Sun 12-Dec-10 11:22:31

hi again, reading this i couldnt believe that a midwife might 'spring' a sweep on anyone, but upon reading this today i remembered one of the sweeps i had
i was in hospital on my due date with a water infection (dont get me started on that 1-id told them what was wrong with me and ignored til i needed hospital stay), dd's heartrate was fast.
midwife at the hospital said she wanted to check if i was dilating as according to the thing i was hooked up 2 i was having contractions. while she was down there she said
"i've just done a sweep..."

perhaps before 'examination' let her know you really dont want 1

on the positive side, my usual midwife did ask me before doing each sweep

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: