Talk

Advanced search

Does having an Episiotomy affect future births at all?

(7 Posts)

Hi,

I'm just wondering if it does at all.

Thanks

theyoungvisiter Sun 05-Dec-10 15:13:20

I tore a little bit along the episiotomy line but only slightly, didn't need stitches.

Otherwise, I don't think so. Lots of people deliver second time without any tearing at all, and statistically you're fairly unlikely to need a second epi.

As a bonus, some people actually find that a second birth helps with the scar. Weird but true.

Was there anything specific you wanted to know?

TettyLouBar Sun 05-Dec-10 19:32:38

OOoooh, I'm watching this thread with interest. I had an episiotomy with DD1 and DD2 due Jan, I'm a little nervous as IME episiotomy scar post-natal was the worst aspect of entire experience - v.v.v.v. painful and took forever for things to get back to normal for me sad

Sazisi Sun 05-Dec-10 19:36:49

No, not in my experience, I'm happy to say!

Had one on DD1 (there was a bit of a panic to get her out before my body was ready), but not with DD2 or DD3, and no tearing or issues whatsoever

CrazyChristmasLady Sun 05-Dec-10 19:48:40

No it shouldn't do. I had an episiotomy and a tear and had to be stitched in theatre.

This time the registrar said there is no greater chance of me tearing than any woman who hasn't tore before so I would have thought the same goes for episiotomies.

Oh thats helpful to know thank you, I'm just trying to get it all straight in my head so when I try for next time I'm in the know sort of thing.

Milliways Sun 05-Dec-10 21:00:35

Not for me.

DD was induced and I had an episiotomy. he was 6lb 2oz

DS was natural birth, in less than 1 hour start to finish, and he was 9lb 6oz, so had no problem there grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now