Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Home birth - which room?

(18 Posts)
wellywoo Tue 30-Nov-10 15:39:29

Hi there, am pregnant for second time. DD born in hospital with no probs so am keen for a home birth this time.
Just curious as to which room people give birth in.

EauRouge Tue 30-Nov-10 15:53:43

Well I haven't done it yet, but am hoping to in Feb! I am planning to have the pool set up in the living room because there's plenty of space and the kitchen and downstairs loo are within easy reach. Are you going to have a pool? If not then I think you have more options as to which room you can use.

autumnberry Tue 30-Nov-10 17:38:46

Ooh. Good luck! I am planning on using the largest spare bedroom. I like it because it is next to the bathroom, feels nice and secluded upstairs and overlooks the garden. It is empty apart from a sofa, a lamp and some nice candles and house plants. I am currently using it for yoga, reading, mumsnetting, eating chocolate so it feels nice and homey.

octopusinabox Tue 30-Nov-10 18:57:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Eglu Tue 30-Nov-10 18:59:47

I used the living toom last time and plan to again this time.

There is more space for moving around and all the people in the living room. It also means that my bedroom is a haven for me to retire to once the baby is born. DS2 came at 3.15 am, so it was lovely to get into my cosy bed with him afterwards.

Indith Tue 30-Nov-10 19:13:27

I've had one in my bedroom on my bed and another in the dining room in a pool

EdgarAllenSnow Tue 30-Nov-10 19:16:55

bedroom - has a long 'pacing' space to walk out contractions, and a bed to cuddle up into straight away - and chairs for MW and my Mum.

Iwasthefourthwiseman Tue 30-Nov-10 19:18:11

In a pool in the dinning room, but if not the pool would have been in the living room.

jenniferturkington Tue 30-Nov-10 19:24:08

I had ds downstairs in the living room (leaning against DH's golf clubs hmm).
I had DD upstairs on my bed, with DS asleep downstairs in his pushchair. The second was much more 'planned' e.g. the bed was made up twice, with plastic sheeting inbetween so after the birth we could just take off a bundle of bedding and have a ready made bed.
Good Luck smile

mungogerry Tue 30-Nov-10 21:31:29

Living room in pool, twice.

thisisyesterday Tue 30-Nov-10 21:33:22

sitting room both times

sparkle12mar08 Tue 30-Nov-10 21:46:04

Spare bedroom both times.

mumtoted Tue 30-Nov-10 21:56:21

Pool in the living room twice for me too (except I call it the lounge, is that allowed on MN?)

NeedToSleepZZZ Tue 30-Nov-10 22:13:26

Have just moved to a new flat and have been taking bets on which room he'll be born in. I think the living room as like the idea of escaping to the bedroom afterwards plus living room is much bigger for pacing around and bouncing on birthing ball. As it's a flat I don't have to worry about stairs. I have warned my neighbour downstairs and she's fine about it and luckily my neighbours on either side are deaf! wink

Wholelottalove Wed 01-Dec-10 01:07:41

Not done it yet - due in two weeks - but planning pool in living room which is the only downstairs room which is big enough to accomodate one. Just realise I really must get round to warning my neighbours there might be a bit of noise

booyhohoho Wed 01-Dec-10 01:15:27

if i was having a pool i would have it in my room probably as i find my room the most relaxing. also has ensuite so toilet and sink very handy. if no pool i would probably be all over the house while labouring and just have teh baby wherever i was when ready. but i am not PG so this is all hypotehtical grin

sarahbuff Wed 01-Dec-10 10:40:23

Hiya! My DD is 2 weeks old today (first homebirth) and she was born on the living room sofa. I had plastic sheets, old bedsheets and some inco pads spread on the floor and sofa, and used the downstairs for walking through the contractions, and thankfully was standing right over an inco pad when my waters broke, just before I pushed out her head! It was lovely because after everything was done and she was settled and had had a few feeds, I had a bath in the downstairs loo, got dressed and cuddled her on the sofa all day. (She was born at 9:30am). I only wish I'd had all my children at home! It was so lovely.

GreenGeekGirl Wed 01-Dec-10 14:05:16

Also due in two weeks (Hiya WLL!) and planning a home birth in our bedroom, as it's really the only room with enough space for the pool and nearest to the bathroom.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: