Talk

Advanced search

When to start using Tens

(9 Posts)
Lorelai Mon 29-Nov-10 15:33:57

After getting my hopes up several times over the last few weeks, I think this may finally be it. Am in constant discomfort (period type cramps and back pain) which builds up into proper pain every 10-15 mins (this pain is mostly in my lower back/bottom). Pain is bad enough that I am having to breathe through it but not bad enough to make me stop what I am doing.

So, my question is, is it too early to put my tens machine on? Don't want to start it too early and have it become ineffective too soon, but know it takes a while to start working.

saucetastic Mon 29-Nov-10 16:35:05

My understanding of Tens is the earlier you use it in early labour, the more effective it is. Even if it were a false alarm, which by the sounds of it, it isn't, you have a chance to test out whether the machine is working.

I haven't gone into labour myself yet with my Tens, but i'm sure someone else will be along soon.

Very exciting for you! Good luck!

Lorelai Mon 29-Nov-10 16:39:32

Thanks. I guess I am only worried about feeling silly/getting ahead of myself if it is a false alarm. But this has been going on for a few hours now so fingers crossed...

OneFishTwoFish Mon 29-Nov-10 16:40:21

Put it on now! It takes about an hour for he endorphins to build up. I gave birth 4 months ago and used the tens from the earliest signs ( first baby so wasn't even sure I was in labour.) I kept it on until the midwife arrived (home birth) and although I wasn't in that much pain, I was 6th so I'm sure it provided effective pain relief.

Good luck, how exciting!

tjandpootle Mon 29-Nov-10 16:42:29

I used Tens with both of mine. It won't harm if it is a false alarm so use away. The beauty of it is you can use it on a low setting to start with and increase the setting as the pain gets worse so don't worry about using it too early.

I had a water birth with DD and had to take the Tens off (obviously smile) before I got in. I hadn't realised until then exactly how much pain relief it was giving me. grin

Good luck!

OneFishTwoFish Mon 29-Nov-10 16:42:51

Sorry for appalling typos - my phone keeps autocorrecting. That should be 6 cm and the endorphins.

Lorelai Mon 29-Nov-10 16:47:44

Thanks. Am trying to work it out now

AbiAbi Mon 29-Nov-10 17:24:49

I used mine during early labour, god send, can't praise it enough. Good luck, hope everything goes smoothly for you!

Lorelai Mon 29-Nov-10 17:44:53

Well it seems to be helping; certainly distracting me from the pain when I use the boost function. No idea if I have the pads in the right place; will ask DH to check when he gets home but that won't be till 9pm ish unless I call him home early.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: