Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Homebirth and Gestational Diabetes?

(11 Posts)
sillysow Sat 27-Nov-10 18:33:22

Hello all

I know it is a given that you should have a hospital birth with Gestational Diabetes (according to the NICE guidelines and my hosp) BUT as long as you baby is not showing to be too big on scans is there any other real risk to be aware of?

I understand the large baby / shoulder disocia (sp sorry) thing but if baby is showing to be normal size I am assuming there is nothing else to be concerned about?

Sorry for my frequent GD posts at the moment but it is playing on my mind a little sad

thisisyesterday Sat 27-Nov-10 18:38:14

have you checked the homebirth site? there is some good info on there

Lorelai Sat 27-Nov-10 18:43:29

I think there is also a concern that the baby's blood sugar may be either high or low (sorry can't remember which!) and may need to be stabilised so that may be another reason for a hospital birth.

sillysow Sat 27-Nov-10 18:49:59

Thank you both. I had GD last time also (long story - really long blush) and to cut a long story short they did not check my dds bs at all despite me having very low bs and ketones. I couldnt get her to feed for the first 18 hours and they said they werent worried and that she was lazy.

Bitter, moi hmm

So yes they do that according to NICE guidelines but in reality not in my experience.

racmac Sat 27-Nov-10 19:30:43

I had GD and had a homebirth - please check out the site - my story is on there and Im more than happy to chat

sillysow Sat 27-Nov-10 20:05:13

Brilliant - thanks racmac

sillysow Tue 30-Nov-10 21:28:09

Anymore experiences out there?

sunndydays Wed 01-Dec-10 08:59:34

I have type 1 diabetes, I am not sure what the difference in NICE guidelines are between the two but when dd was born the mw told me that they have to have a feed then check their blood sugar level 2 hours later (to give the milk a chance to work) the thing they worry about is their sugar level going low because they are so used to having yummy sugar from mummy it takes a while for them to regulate it themselves. I suppose with GD it depends how severe it is, but I don't see why you shouldn't have a homebirth (if you aren't being induced?) IF there are any problems with dc then you can always pop to the hospital after to get them checked over, Sorry for babbling, hope that helps!

Restrainedrabbit Wed 01-Dec-10 09:05:18

I've had three homebirths and GD, what do you wnat to know? smile

Restrainedrabbit Wed 01-Dec-10 09:08:24

I was told that the community MWs can borrow a blood sugar monitor from the ward to check sugar levels in the baby post birth but I was also told what signs to watch for in the baby too.

With regards to shoulder dystocia if you have had a normal delivery with a large baby previously then you should be fine.

Just remember there is no such thing as 'not allowed', but you can make an informed choice.

sillysow Wed 01-Dec-10 18:26:27

Thank you very much sunndydays and Restrainedrabbit.

Last time dd was only 7lb 14 oz- so no history of a whopper despite gd.

I am hoping that I can stand firm (unlike last time) and have the labour that I want with minimal intervention. I plan to decline being induced so long as there are no apparent problems / signs of placenta failure.

I do get the feeling that it is a bit of a you're damned if you do and damned if you dont kind of situation hmm though maybe I need to learn to be more positive! And assertive.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: