Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Waters breaking and getting in the bath

(9 Posts)
islandbaby Fri 26-Nov-10 16:09:17

Having a moment here... am I right in thinking that once your waters have broken you are advised not to take a bath? If so... what's the reasoning?

Also... surely you can still be in the water birth pool once your waters are broken, so what's the difference?

FerminaUrbinoDaza Fri 26-Nov-10 16:11:10

If you're having contractions it's fine. If not then it's not advised due to risk of infection.

HTH and that things get moving for you soon smile

Lorelai Fri 26-Nov-10 16:17:24

I thought it was ok whether having contractions or not. That's the advice I got on here in my last labour anyway

FerminaUrbinoDaza Fri 26-Nov-10 16:18:26

Mmmm, I'm not in the UK so I suppose the advice could vary. It does on a lot of things.

Owlingate Fri 26-Nov-10 16:24:08

I was told not to at 35 weeks but at 38 weeks I was told I could (contractions had started as well though). I would if labour has started and you are term and no other probs eg GBS. If labour not started have a shower instead.

Aren't birth pools supposed to be sterilised or something?

lainey1981 Fri 26-Nov-10 16:36:39

think you are probably ok to have a bath but shouldn't use any bubble bath etc, so just plain water? Maybe check with labour ward?

japhrimel Fri 26-Nov-10 17:21:50

My hospital's policy is that if contractions haven't started within 24 hours, you have to be induced to reduce the risk of infection anyway, so I can't see that having a bath would make much difference either way!

hkt87 Fri 26-Nov-10 17:27:19

I'm a midwife, if that makes any difference. Its fine to have a bath as long as the temp is not too high (should be round 37 degrees celsius - but don't fret if you have no thermometer!). Dont use any bubble baths etc. Water can help stimulate contractions so good luck!

craftynclothy Fri 26-Nov-10 17:27:29

I was allowed a bath in hospital (with bubble bath) after my waters had gone. Mind you, care I received wasn't great so don't know if thats much to go on hmm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: