Talk

Advanced search

TENS machine rental questions

(14 Posts)
EauRouge Thu 25-Nov-10 18:09:07

I'm due in Feb and planning a home birth. I've still got some time to go but since Christmas will no doubt make time go three times as quickly I am starting to panic about getting things sorted.

My plan is to use a TENS machine until it's time to get in the birthing pool. I didn't use a TENS machine with DD but I've heard lots of good things so I'm planning to rent one.

Well, I had no idea there were so many different kinds and so many different companies! My MW mentioned that a lot of local mums rent them from Boots but I was wondering if someone could recommend somewhere and what type of TENS is best. Cheap is good but I'm willing to fork out the extra for that extra bit of pain relief grin

TIA.

Wigeon Thu 25-Nov-10 21:45:07

My (NHS) midwife lent me one I used when I had DD - it looked about 30 years old and just had a dial and a boost button, but was fantastic. Which makes me doubt that the snazzy / more expensive ones are any better / more effective than a cheapy old thing. With the next DC (currently pregnant) I'm planning on finding the cheapest rental and going for that one.

Jareth Thu 25-Nov-10 21:46:46

I hired mine from boots, arranged it to arrive when I was about 38 weeks and it was absolutely brilliant.

I think hospitals/NCT also hire them out.
(someone will be along with better info soon)

RhinestoneCowgirl Thu 25-Nov-10 21:52:13

Hired mine from Boots too, used it in both labours, worked for me!

EauRouge Fri 26-Nov-10 18:55:45

Thanks! I probably won't bother with the all singing all dancing one then.

muslimah28 Fri 26-Nov-10 19:33:09

i went with tens-hire.co.uk. V helpful customer service and also i liked the fact that hire is for 6 weeks atthe outset. Many companies i think boots included iirc have a 3 week hhire with free 3 week extension-works out the same but you have the hassle of arranging the extra time if needed or if yr life has been turned upside down and you have other things to think about than taking this back!!

I actually ended up buying my machine off them for back pain after birth, which they sold to me for an extra 15quid

DingALongCow Fri 26-Nov-10 20:52:34

Problem with all singing all dancing one, is you have to remember how to use it when you are in labour - which buttons to press and when.

I had a simple one from Boots the first time around, the second time I bought a Mamatens which is simple, but even so I sometimes struggled with working out what I had to do whilst in the throes of labour/in a darkened room.

beautifulgirls Sat 27-Nov-10 22:58:06

I bought one (new) from ebay since I was planning to have more than one child and it made economic sense. So long as it is a proper maternity one with 4 pads and a boost option you should be fine if you look for similar.

NoTeaForMe Mon 29-Nov-10 00:06:40

I bought one from eBay too. It is an Elle one. I plan on having more children so thought it made sense, and I actually paid about the same cost as hiring it. In the long run I may sell it again. I can highly recommend the one I have, plenty of functions but easy to use. I needed that burst button. The one I bought was used but I bought new pads for it.

Sarahlou8 Mon 29-Nov-10 12:24:43

Ihired one from Boots and shortly after was lent an Elle TENS by a friend.
I tried out both to see which I preferred (before labour!) and went with the Elle Tens, a doddle to use and it was great.
I've seen them for hire in Toys 'r' us (baby section) for £24.99.

ItalianLady Mon 29-Nov-10 12:37:24

I worked for Boots and hired them out. They are perfectly adequate. Make sure you get one that is suitable for use in labour and has a boost button, if you don't go down the hiring from Boots route.

MrsSatsuma Mon 29-Nov-10 14:28:06

What's the difference between normal TENS and labour-suitable ones? I'm about to buy one for back pain, but if I can get one that's suitable for labour as well then so much the better!!

ItalianLady Mon 29-Nov-10 17:31:19

Not all of them have a boost button.

NeedToSleepZZZ Tue 30-Nov-10 22:02:13

First timer question alert....
At what point is it best to order one? I plan to hire one too <<waves at EauRouge!>> and don't want to be told they're out of stock for that time. Also, how long can you hire them for? I'm also due in Feb.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now