Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

"helping" the head to engage?

(13 Posts)
batsforlashes Mon 22-Nov-10 12:55:14

Just wondering if there are any tips fir encouraging
The head to engage ? My obs will do A sweep next week (39 wks) if the head is in place.

Thanks,

B x

Nagoo Mon 22-Nov-10 19:29:32

MW told me to so up and down the stairs sideways as it opens your pelvis.

OnlyWantsOne Mon 22-Nov-10 19:30:27

bounce on ball

wintersnow Mon 22-Nov-10 20:40:56

Lots of walking helped the head engage with all 3 of my pregnancies, it's the gravitational aspect!

PrematureEjoculation Mon 22-Nov-10 20:41:44

lots of walking - definitely.

swimming if you aren't up to that.

thisisyesterday Mon 22-Nov-10 20:44:50

why do you want a sweep at 39 weeks?

i would just let things progress naturally. baby will presumably engage when in a good position and time to do so

AntonDuBurk Mon 22-Nov-10 20:47:44

Second bouncing on a birthing/exercise ball.

Octaviapink Tue 23-Nov-10 08:52:15

Lots of activity - walking is very good, but so is anything that engages your stomach muscles (what there is left of them!) as that's what funnels baby downwards. Bear in mind though, that a sweep is unlikely to do anything unless your cervix is already ripe or ripening.

frakkinup Tue 23-Nov-10 09:05:47

Hindi squats

batsforlashes Tue 23-Nov-10 13:08:17

Hindi Squats smile sounds like fun.

thisisyesterday- no offense but these sort of replies drive me crazy- they add no value whatsoever. I don't have to explain myself to you and if I do or don't want a sweep at 39 weeks then that is for me and my obs to discuss and agree.

Thanks everyone- walking and bouncing ball it is !

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Nov-10 17:23:25

hey i was just asking a question. ie, whether there was a reason you wanted to go into labour before 40 weeks that's all

thisisyesterday Tue 23-Nov-10 17:25:07

IME a baby will come when it is ready, and as octaviapink says... if it's too early a sweep is pointless

you don't want baby engaging if it isn't in an optimal position do you? so encouraging it to happen before it is ready to seems kind of silly to me.

obviosuly tho there may be some pressing reason why you are anxious for things to progress... which is why i asked

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 23-Nov-10 19:48:48

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: