Talk

Advanced search

Who makes final decision on planned c section?

(7 Posts)
PaigeTurner Sat 20-Nov-10 12:19:56

I am under shared care and so have seen a number of registrars over my pregnancy (currently 33 weeks). I requested a c section at my appointment at 32 weeks and was told to come back a week later and see the consultant.

When I arrived at my appointment this week I was instead seen by another registrar who told me I was "too distressed" to discuss ELCS (I have psychological ishoos) and booked me in for another appointment in 3 weeks, so I'll be 36 weeks - seems a bit late in the day to me - is this usual?

Also, do I have to see the fabled consultant, or do the registrars just go and have a chat with him? It feels like I'm being fobbed off with people who aren't qualified to make the decision.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 20-Nov-10 12:23:05

It'll be your consultant who makes the decision. IME they may sometimes make the decision without seeing you, so listen to what their registrars say.

Can you ring up the hospital and say that at your next appt you'd like to see the consultant as you're not getting anywhere with the registrars.

greaseistheword Sat 20-Nov-10 12:35:05

my c section was not confirmed until i was 37 weeks.then i had it at 39 weeks.

PaigeTurner Sat 20-Nov-10 13:24:52

Thanks for your replies. I'll contact the hospital.

Dolittlest Sat 20-Nov-10 16:41:54

Ultimately, you decide. If you kick up enough of a fuss, they will book you in. I'd ring the consultant's secretary, ask that he/she urgently ring you back and say you are adamant you want a section, so can he/she book you in on the phone there and then.

VivaLeBeaver Sat 20-Nov-10 22:04:20

Depends on your hospital, I don't think any consultant will agree over the phone. You can argue its your decision but if the consultant doesn't agree to it it won't happen.

Derby PCT for instance have run out of money and issued their consultants with a list of what reasons they consider acceptable for a lscs. If criteria isn't met then they won't pay for it. Maternal request (even for prev traumatic delivery) is not on the list. If the pct aren't paying for it believe me the hospital won't do it.

PaigeTurner Sun 21-Nov-10 17:22:22

I'm thinking of staging a bit of a sit-in at my next appointment until I get a decision either way. My psychiatrist doesn't seem to think there will be a problem, but if there is, I'd like enough time to get a second opinion and/or ask another PCT.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now