Talk

Advanced search

to induce or hang around and get monitored?

(10 Posts)
littleElif Tue 16-Nov-10 10:49:49

hi there,

DC is almost a week overdue. In my area induction is offered once the baby is 12 days late. alternative to induction is waiting and going to hospital every other day for CTG monitoring.

I was inducted with DC1 (12 days late) and don't really fancy another induction and I am considering the wait-and-check-the-baby approach.

just wondered if anybody here did it? did the baby eventually come on its own or did you end up inducted nevertheless (by 21 days over I they would induce me regardless).

thanks,
Elif

carlyvita Tue 16-Nov-10 12:59:24

Hi there. Loads of research suggests that 42weeks is in fact just as legitimately "term" as 36.

When you say "overdue" be aware that this is a controversial area and the NHS are seriously lacking insight here.

This is what The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) says on subject, and there's plenty more research out there if interested:

"...recommends against elective induced labor before 39 weeks gestation. However, this is a liberal statement in that the average duration of pregnancy worldwide is actually 42 weeks. "

Inductions suck (not medical fact, but speaking from experience!)

I would happily go 42 weeks having looked at evidence out there!

Nagoo Tue 16-Nov-10 13:18:44

I'm not going to let them near me until 42 weeks.

I felt bullied last time and I can't see any reason to just go along with them this time.

AliGrylls Tue 16-Nov-10 19:08:46

Agree with Nagoo.

Flisspaps Tue 16-Nov-10 19:08:50

I went to 42w before being induced with DD, and in fact was actually induced at 42+1 and had her at 42+2. I wish I'd waited longer as she was in an odd position - clearly not ready for labour and I ended up with forceps/third degree tear/PPH/MROP, all of which I directly attribute to the induction.

Elif - they CANNOT induce you regardless at any time. They must have your consent to perform ANY procedure on you.

Ushy Tue 16-Nov-10 22:12:17

The trouble is that there are risks to the baby and the longer you go on the higher the risks - nobody seems to mention this. I was really worried when I went overdue but like everyone I did not want an induction because it so often ends in a traumatic delivery. What I agreed to was a pessary ONLY and if that did not work I wanted a c/s which was agreed although turned out not to be necessary. Good luck:-)

flaurenoko Sat 27-Nov-10 13:26:26

I feel I have been really bullied by the NHS MAFIA... I do not want an induction - however am 42+1.. However that is based on a date made up by me as I couldnt remember the date of my last period. The dating scan said the baby was 5 days younger. They didnt change the date as it was under 7 days difference - but no one will listen to that now.

I have pushed so hard to wait - and was told that I would be taken to court for not accepting the induction if something happened to the baby (they seem certain that the placenta will die and I will have a still born, even though the scan said the baby, placenta and fluid were fine, and the monitoring was fine..)

All I wanted was to wait till the actual date that I would be 41+6 which is when they induce, before being induced.. Based on THEIR dating scan of course..

Anyway, they wouldnt let me go with out a stretch and sweep (though the woman that did it said that i was 2.5cm dilated)..

I think that my waters were accidently broken during this - as I was leaking afterwards and I went back in 2 days later and they have said my waters have broken..

Now I HAVE to go in tomo for an induction..

All I can say is stand your ground for what you want. I wish I had never accepted the sweep

DilysPrice Sat 27-Nov-10 13:27:58

How sure are you of your ovulation date? It affects your opinion on whether you're genuinely overdue or not.

Miffster Sat 27-Nov-10 13:52:42

flaurenoko I am shock at what happened to you. Practically assault.

Cosmosis Mon 29-Nov-10 11:29:31

I went for the daily ctg option. I was booked in for an induction at 40+13, which I decided to decline at about 40+10 - they were totally happy with it. I went in for my first ctg session at 40+13, where the doc I saw was a bit less happy, basically said this is alright for now, but you need to pick a day when you stop and agree to induction. I was happy with that, so we picked 40+17. I went into labour at 42 weeks exactly.

I'm really glad I did it, it was definitely the right thing for us.

I disagree with Ushy, they do mention the risks, they certainly did to us, we got a very long lecture talk about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now