Talk

Advanced search

My hospital bag

(37 Posts)
pinkyp Mon 15-Nov-10 18:07:14

Please can anyone let me know if i'm missing something really obvious, i know i've packed make up and hair straighteners - yeh i might not use them but with my first ds it was one of the things than kept me feeling normal after the birth ok her goes:

FOR ME
Towel
2 pairs of Pj's
1 old nighty (for labour)
1 pair of slippers
1 pair of slipper socks
hair straighteners
5 pairs of underwear
3 packs of mat towels
4 sets of breastpads
Baby wash (for me and baby)
Small pack of baby wipes
shampoo
deodrant
tooth paste
face cream
nipple cream
make up
hairbrush
digital camera and spare batterys
dressing gown
carrier bag for dirty clothes
couple of pounds in change for wotever
some cereal bars
socks
clothes to come home in (joggers and baggy top)
For baby
pack of nappies
baby wipes
baby towel
1 long sleeve vest
2 normal vest
1 sleepsuit
1 pair of pj's
1 cadigan
1 trousers&jacket (soft velour 2 piece set things)
3 hats
4 scratch mittons
2 socks
1 slippers
3 bibs
dummy
blanket

DOLLYDAYDREAMER Mon 15-Nov-10 18:22:16

hi - thought of a few things - for you - nursing bra - lavender oil or salt - put in bidet to rinse your bits in - starts the healing process quickly - for baby - a realy nice outfit for when they come round to take a photo - GOOD LUCK

pinkyp Mon 15-Nov-10 18:26:05

Nursing bra! yes thank u! My dh is getting me a 'suprise outfit' for baby. Does the salt sting? Lavender oil sounds like a good idea tho.

pallymama Mon 15-Nov-10 18:28:21

A hand held fan, in case your ward is anywhere near as hot as mine was hmm

mrspear Mon 15-Nov-10 18:34:02

i am not even a make up girl BUT i was so glad dh bought mine in grin

list looks great

pinkyp Mon 15-Nov-10 18:39:06

thank u, the labour ward was hot but last time i was there it was July, will get dh to do the fanning me grin

muslimah28 Mon 15-Nov-10 19:15:04

The salt shouldnt sting if you dont put too much in, just a couple of pinches of salt in the water will help.

Lip balm? Some women get very dry lips in labour.

Some sweets on energy tablets if you need an instant energy fix

Lorelai Mon 15-Nov-10 19:57:46

Flannel to help cool you down, drinks, music?

Also I have packed a lavender wheat cushion; really helped with lower back pain last time.

notanumber Mon 15-Nov-10 20:01:24

A jug. To pour water (can be mixed with Dolly's lavender oil) over your fanjo while you wee.

roundthehouses Mon 15-Nov-10 20:04:07

Lorelai - how did you heat the wheat cushion?

notanumber Mon 15-Nov-10 20:04:07

Flipflops for the shower (obviously it depends on how minging overstretched the hospital you give birth in is, but they can be a bit unsavory and frankly, you'll have enough to worry about without trying to sidestep other patients' goo underfoot)

notanumber Mon 15-Nov-10 20:06:10

Phone (plus charger).

Also, organise a group from your address book for those you want to contact with the good news post delivery.

Lorelai Mon 15-Nov-10 20:07:23

Roundthehouses - in the midwives' microwave! DH went off to ask if we could, first couple he asked had no idea what it was then another one (mid-40s rather than mid-20s like the first two!) saw it and zapped it for him straight away!

notanumber Mon 15-Nov-10 20:08:12

Drinking straws. Definitely.

To sip water whilst in labout (your DH can hold it to your lips - much easier than negotiating a cup when in the throes of a contraction).

GruffalosGirl Mon 15-Nov-10 20:23:42

How are you intending to feed the baby? If you are going to breastfeed I wouldn't take the dummy as you can't use it the first month. If you are formula feeding do you need to take anything for this or does your hospital provide formula and bottles?

How about muslin cloths?

I'd take loads more food with me, not just a little bit. Last time I was starving all the time and always in the middle of the night. But maybe I'm just greedy!

Maybe a magazine or something to read

JetLi Mon 15-Nov-10 20:29:44

I'd ditch the baby wipes in favour of cotton wool & water - their newborn skin is so sensitive.

Schroeder Mon 15-Nov-10 20:42:25

Mp3 to block out the noise of other peoples babies.

I took a puzzle book (not suduku though) something easy like a wordsearch I just couldn't concentrate to read even a magazine article.

A notebook and pen-maybe your doctor will want to explain something to you and your brain will be all mushy, you can scribble it down and refer to it later.

Good lucksmile

japhrimel Mon 15-Nov-10 21:17:46

You may well need cotton wool more - some hospitals want to see a wet bit of cotton wool to prove your baby is peeing before discharging you. Also better for cleaning, though my NCT leader said take some wipes or Vaseline as well to get really sticky meconium off.

A wheatie sounds like a great idea. I'll be asking if I can use one. Had thought about packing a hot water bottle for the same reason but a lavender wheatie is so much nicer.

A friend suggested earplugs to me this weekend so I need to get some.

Scarabeetle Mon 15-Nov-10 21:34:36

Hair straighteners!? grin You won't have time! Or care!!

One thing to add in case it's bright on the ward is an eyemask, the kind you get on a long-haul flight, so you can get some sleep.

Valpollicella Mon 15-Nov-10 21:43:08

I'd recommend something like a big ol' pot of Vaseline - that meconium does not shift off their buns easliy with just wipes

<bitter experience of trying to wipe it off in the semi dark of the ward at 3am...>

Valpollicella Mon 15-Nov-10 21:44:07

Buns?? Bums!

Sorry, typing in the dark!!

pinkyp Mon 15-Nov-10 22:42:00

Thank you all, i'm gonna re-read through them tomorrow and make a list of things to add on!
How old fashioned am i but i dont have a mp3(sob) i do have a blackberry tho grin. They eye mask is a great idea, with my 1st ds i went to sleep at 1am, woke up when it was light never bothered to look at the time, showered, dressed, straightened hair and looked at the clock...4am shock

Valpollicella Mon 15-Nov-10 22:52:16

Take some random non perishable food stuffs too

If you're as lucky as me hmm who happens to be asleep during the lunch call one day, and then you wake up after it and you have no lunch/food until your visitors...<hhmphh>

MrsGubbins Tue 16-Nov-10 03:26:48

3 packs of mat towels..... how many does that mean? gulp! I was planning on taking 1 pack of 30.. will I need more??

OnEdge Tue 16-Nov-10 04:34:38

I got the baby's outfit, and a nappy and rolled it in the blanket (like you do with swimming kit) When the baby was born, it was easy to hand this to the MW. I have found that if you leave it to DH, they drag everything out all wrong trying to get it together to give to her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now