Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

First Birth, Posterior Baby and Epidural - Experiences?

(16 Posts)
planner26 Fri 12-Nov-10 17:25:01

Hi all,

After spending my pregnancy researching labouring techniques, birthing methods etc. that do would hopefully help me avoid having an epidural I've been told that the baby is in an 'awkward posterior' position (though she may move I'm preparing myself for the worst).

I didn't like to idea of being numb and not having any children previously I don't know how to push properly. I know some mners have had ok experiences with forceps I am very against their use so was hoping if I had active labour and got in a favourable position for birthing I could try and avoid them (actually hoping for a waterbirth). However, my midwife has told me that 'it would be hard to deliver a posterior baby without an epidural for the pain' and also the likelihood of intervention is increased anyway taking into account the baby's awkward position.

TBH if I'm going to need an epidural to deliver, or require intervention anyway I am thinking I may as well have it early on now and save myself the pain. Does anyone have any experiences similar to this? Were forceps required for delivery? If I clearly state that I would not agree to forceps and if it looked to be going that way I would rather have a C-section do you think the midwives/drs would listen?

Thanks

planner26 Sat 13-Nov-10 11:00:40

Sorry - am bumping! Getting a bit anxious!

stinkypants Sat 13-Nov-10 11:13:17

IME it hurts so much that you'll be begging for an epidural even without these complications!!! but i have a low pain threshold and agree that it would make it harder to know how to push altho i never got that far and had an emergency section.
i dont think you can opt out of a forceps delivery if that is what is required to be best for baby - and i dont think you can elect a caesarian unless had one previously.
i would definitely go with the medical advice you are given.
there are no prizes for going without pain relief and if thats what it takes, try not to let that spoil it for you - you wont care anyway once you see your precious child.
gas and air is brilliant btw though so dont worry about the pain being unmanageable, and it gave me a lovely spaced out feeling so i was less anxious.

Teaandcakeplease Sat 13-Nov-10 11:19:34

With posterior babies (both of mine were) crouching on your hands and knees can be very helpful. My labours were very long and I did end up having epidurals. I don't think your midwifes comments are helpful in one way as it has probably contributed to anxiousness. A lady on here a few months ago very successfuly gave birth to a posterior baby. I'll try and find the link. No reason you can't smile

Ventouse is an option instead of forceps if required. I had forceps with my DD but it was necessary at the time. However I think having the epidurals caused my labours to slow down and also I had trouble feeling properely when to push etc. I think mobile epidurals are better?

I bet someone more wise than me will be along soon, as I think I'm waffling blush

Teaandcakeplease Sat 13-Nov-10 11:23:29

Here it is

violethill Sat 13-Nov-10 11:27:45

My first baby was positioned like this, and I avoided an epidural, in fact I delivered in a MLU. I totally agree with Teaandcake about your own position - crouching, kneeling, above all, KEEP MOBILE. The baby isn't passive for the whole of labour anyway - it will be moving about, and may get into different positions before delivery anyway. You are more likely to avoid forceps and ventouse if you avoid an epidural too. I almost needed forceps, but pushed the baby out myself. IME a first birth is going to be painful anyway, but look at non invasive pain relief techniques - massage, water, moving around - they can work really well

Wholelottalove Sat 13-Nov-10 19:34:39

I'm sure I read somewhere that about 90% of posterior babies turn during labour. My DD was posterior and turned at the end of labour. I didn't have an epidural (although did want one, but different story) and although the latent phase was very long, the active phase was 4 hours. I would echo sentiments about keeping mobile and on hands and knees - especially do not be on your back and ask them not to monitor you on your back with the belts (I was asked to do this on admission as a routine procedure and it was v painful). You could try water as well.

notnearlyasblondasiwas Sat 13-Nov-10 19:51:07

My daughter was posterior and a long labour but laboured on all fours and delivered her with gas and air at the MLU. I have nothing else to compare it to, but would def do it the same way again if was in the same position again. My daughter turned just as her head delivered, a bit late to be any use but I would recommend trying an active labour and just see how you go! Let us know how you get on!!

planner26 Sat 13-Nov-10 20:25:01

Thanks so much everyone - your thoughts have put my mind to rest a bit!

Think I will just suck it and see - won't dive in for the epi (don't think midwives comments were very helpful) and just see how it progresses. Fingers crossed she might turn! Had really hoped for a waterbirth (or at least using the pool) so will try and have a go if a I can, I can always get out again.

Now I just need something for this backache in the meantime...!

mmmmmchocolate Sat 13-Nov-10 21:03:07

Hi planner my first DD was posterior, I wanted an epidural from the off and was gutted when it didn't work.
Apparently this was due to the contractions being in my back but it also didnt help that I had to remain immobile for the rest of the labour. She didnt turn and was born facing the ceiling!
The second time I had decided that I wouldn't have an epidural as I just wouldn't do anything for me but it made me look into birth a bit more and have a few 'other options'
Do you have a birth ball? They are amazing really helped take the pressure off my lower back during and before labour.

ThinneverVetch Sat 13-Nov-10 21:10:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

planner26 Sat 13-Nov-10 22:06:49

Thanks mmchoc yeh I've been lying draped over it all night - it really is the comfiest position I can get into at the moment (just wish I could fall asleep there - better than the bed!). Also have had problems with SPD, struggling walking now and turning at night so painful so that's another thing to lump into the equation with labouring positions!

Just spent the evening eating ice-cream to cheer myself up. Feel like I've spent my pregnancy doing all the 'right' things (eating well, exercising when I can etc.) and it hasn't made a difference so I may as well hit the cals!

Last couple of weeks blues - I should really be so grateful that me and bub are both healthy and I really can't wait to meet her now (however it might go!).

catholicatheist Mon 15-Nov-10 15:31:42

Hi there, I am 38 plus 2 and my baby is also back to back OP and according to the midwife 'as back to back as they get'. I asked about this on here and got a fab response. check out this thread.

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/childbirth/1071718-Anyone-had -a-back-to-back-OP-position-Labour-Birth-for-first -baby

planner26 Mon 15-Nov-10 17:58:09

Thanks catholic that's really helpful.

Have posted another thread re. positions and amount of epidural - just really wanted to avoid being on my back and in stirrups as my SPD is getting really bad now.

Good luck - let me know how you get on!

GruffalosGirl Mon 15-Nov-10 20:36:13

I had a back to back baby and laboured for 16 hours and got to 7cm on only gas and air. I didn't even have that much back pain so I think it totally depends on the individual.

I wouldn't go into it automatically expecting it to be unbearable. I did end up with an epidural as never progressed past 7cm and so after 8hrs at 7cm went on the syncotin so then had the epidural but if I hadn't had that I would have happily stayed on the gas and air.

I found moving really helpful though - I just paced the room for the first 8 hours of my labour and found that helped with the pain. Water helps too. Good luck and I'm sure you'll be fine. Stay as active as you can for as long as you can.

Nagoo Tue 16-Nov-10 15:14:34

Planner, I found that the back ache was worse than the contractions. Mt TENS really helped with the pain as i felt it all in my back.

My DS was born face up with a hand up at his face. I had a very active labour and I didn't need any drugs. moving around was really useful.

I was very tired, due to not sleeping because of the back ache. When they say push, they actually do really mean it. I could have avoided a lot of 'pushing' if i'd have done what the midwives told me and actually pushed properly. I never felt an urge to push at all, i don't know if this is due to DS's position.

I wouldn't make a plan, just see what you need to do at the time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: