Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What pain reliefr are you offered in your area?

(9 Posts)
lollypoplady Fri 12-Nov-10 12:21:47

I've just written a similar post and have noticed women seem to be given different options depending on where they live in the UK... I live in Bath and we are offered gas and air, pethedine & epidural, where do you live & what are you offered? Thanks!

greentig3r Fri 12-Nov-10 15:43:15

AFAIK, at Aberdeen, we have G&A, epidural and remifentanil (IV-PCA). Also whichever morphine-type thing, not sure which.

mrsbigw Sun 14-Nov-10 15:08:02

Am in Manchester, not sure if it's up to date but with the last 3 babies there was Entonox, Pethidine, epidural & I think on occaision they give diamorphine.

partyhats Sun 14-Nov-10 16:35:45

I am 37 weeks with DC3 and am very anxious about the birth. Have had 2 with just gas and air and it was just awful. I actually feel quite traumatised by the experiences and am having trouble sleeping. I was told both times by the hitler midwife that it was better to give birth without and then that there was no anaeasthetist available and it was too late.
I have just printed off section 1.5.3 of the NICE guidelines and put it in my hospital bag. I am determined to get one this time.

belgo Sun 14-Nov-10 16:38:17

Belgium: only epidurals are available. Gas and air and pethidine etc are not used during childbirth.

lollypoplady Sun 14-Nov-10 20:09:13

partyhats That awful, my second birth I had a bit of a hitler midwife and when you're in such a vulnerable situation it really doesn't help!

belgo oh no, I found the gas and air amazing grin , well, until the pain got too much, but it did take the edge off it grin. Do most women have epidurals in Belgium then or go it totally drug free?

BiscuitNibbler Sun 14-Nov-10 20:12:27

Paracetemol, gas & air, pethidine, diamorphine, epidural, spinal, general anaesthetic. Had them all.

belgo Sun 14-Nov-10 20:32:20

lollypoplady - I think most women having first births have an epidural but I know a lot of women who have had natural/home/water births - they are very popular here.

japhrimel Sun 14-Nov-10 20:45:42

Paracetamol & codeine for early stages, then G&A, pethidine, other opiates, epidural and remifentanyl. Plus spinal & GA of course.

Also birth pool and aromatherapy.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: