Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

VBAC success rate?

(11 Posts)
Dizzle Thu 11-Nov-10 19:27:52

Does anyone know what the success rate is for vbac attempts? I had a C/S with my DS and am contemplating what to do now I'm pregnant again...

oliviadehavilland Thu 11-Nov-10 20:14:55

Think it rather depends on the rasons for the first CS - what were they?

Loopymumsy Thu 11-Nov-10 20:47:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Dizzle Fri 12-Nov-10 13:43:01

He was breach, so not much I could do about that... just not sure its worth all the trauma when I might end up with a section anyway!

ChoccieDoodleyAdventCalender Fri 12-Nov-10 13:49:37

Dizzle, I had a vbac in the summer and am SO pleased that I did. It was a different experience and and will admit incredibly painful but fab at the same time. If you can I would go for it, but see what your consultant says. Only thing that I was really keen on was getting home as soon as possible to my dd and we were home by late lunch when born at 3am! smile

Loopymumsy Fri 12-Nov-10 16:48:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ushy Fri 12-Nov-10 22:51:02

Dizzle, there is good link on the Royal College of Obstetrician and Gynacecologists site which gives the exact data you are looking for - it is very evidence based and up to date. Here it is www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/uploaded-files/GT4 5BirthAfterPreviousCeasarean.pdf
Good luck

soppypreggyloon Sat 13-Nov-10 09:41:09

Ushy that's a great link!

i had a meeting with a consultant at my 12 week scan to discuss vbac/ elcs. he just repeatedly spouted the generic 75% success rate statistic to us and that was it. he didn't even have my notes!!! hmm

MW asked how it went and i was very honest - she was quite taken aback!

sarah293 Sat 13-Nov-10 09:42:56

Message withdrawn

birdyperson Sat 13-Nov-10 18:42:09

The RCOG guidelines are very good. There are also a number of studies that have been published since those came out looking at factors affecting VBAC success, but by and large they don't add much that's new to the RCOG guidelines. Briefly, your chances of successful VBAC are higher if you've already had a vaginal birth, if your BMI is normal, if you are not over 35 and if the reason for the section isn't likely to recur (and AFAIK it shouldn't for breech). An academic who looked at the factors affecting VBAC success provides a success calculator on his website here if you're interested. I would just use this as an indication though. It's helpful info but no single study is perfect.

HTH in decision making and that you have the birth you would like, whatever you choose to do.

BollocksToThis Sat 13-Nov-10 18:54:15

Dizzle I had a VBAC 7 weeks ago following CS for breech. I weighed up the relative risks of repeat CS and to be honest from the evidence and research I looked at I could see no reason for me not to have a VBAC, and following breech is the best possible scenario to be approaching it from. I am very glad I did it, but went into it with a "worst case scenario - it's another section, not the end of the world" attitude. The recovery was so, so much easier and I was walking on air afterwards despite complications meaning I end up being induced (long story). Next one would definitely be another VBAC.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: