Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

3 days post labour - stiches very painful

(12 Posts)
fromheretomaternity Mon 08-Nov-10 21:44:42

I had a 2nd degree tear after labour and stitches. The first day or two they didn't seem too bad but the pain seems to be getting worse, with sharp pain in the perineum area. Also when I stand up it feels like something is sagging or pressing down. I also have a cough and when I cough it feels like I am putting strain on the stiches.

Called the midwives and they just said it's normal to get worse before it gets better.

Am keeping it clean, changing pads regularly and had a bath today with tea tree oil.

Should I go to the GP? Call in the midwives? Or just accept this is how it is? Am worried my coughing has dislodged something down there.

PinkIceQueen Mon 08-Nov-10 23:15:27

Ask your midwife to check you tomorrow, would be my advice, if only to put your mind at rest.

Sabineba Tue 09-Nov-10 09:31:48

Unfortunately that sounds normal. But can't hurt to get it checked! You'll probably have to ask for it though, seems midwives and doctors generally just assume everything's fine unless you insist on being checked out... (in my experience anyway)

notyummy Tue 09-Nov-10 09:36:25

Are you taking some pain relief? I was given co-codomal, and ibuprofen can be good for this sort of thing as well.

Would echo getting them checked.

notanumber Tue 09-Nov-10 13:00:03

I'd say that sounds normal. But I'm not a GP, so do get them checked if you have concerns.

Have you had a look with a mirror? I found that it feels much worse than it looks IYKWIM, and that might set your mind at rest.

It'll never be quite the same down there, but it will feel fine eventualy, I promise (just don't be surprised if this takes several weeks)

<contemplates own patchwork fanjo>

DinahRod Tue 09-Nov-10 13:08:49

Poor you. Remember my stitches hurt more than my c section, and they give you heavy dose meds for a csection! I think it's bloody awful they don't do the same for internal stitching.

Make sure you have been given as much pain relief as allowed. When you wee pour a jug of warm water over to take away the sting. Put tea tree oil on your maternity pad. Ask for a mw visit and a check all is still intact - sometimes you can get an infection which makes things painful. Support yourself on your arms when getting up and down, try not to stand or sit down whilst holding the baby.

Bumpsadaisie Tue 09-Nov-10 13:36:52

If it feels like it is continuing to get worse, do get it checked for an infection. I got an infection in my about day 3 and hung on for another few days getting increasingly sore and generally not feeling great. A day's antiobiotics will soon clear it up if it is an infection.

Marjee Tue 09-Nov-10 15:53:25

2 baths a day with tea tree oil really helped me. Like everyone else has said make sure your mw checks the stitches, you may need to keep asking but you need a check up for reassurance if nothing else. I didn't get checked at all, I asked 3 times then was too embarrassed to ask anymore, please be more assertive than I was!

clarabellarocks Tue 09-Nov-10 20:10:26

Mine was the same - it does get worse before it gets better. You think you're doing great but then you are really sore. Defo worth asking midwife to check though. I was taking diclofenac which really helped (anti-inflamatory drug) so if you're not taking anything ask speak to your midwife asap. And defo have pain killers. Make sure you rest a lot too - I made the mistake of being dragged out for a half hour walk on day 3 with the inlaws and I was so sore it just didn't help. Take it easy.

Waswondering Tue 09-Nov-10 20:11:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

muslimah28 Tue 09-Nov-10 20:13:10

it souns normal but do get someone to check the wound. And if very painful check for infection.

For pain sitting, try sitting in a ring- a swimming ring or bunch up some towels into a ring. This will take pressure off.

Do your pelvic floors! They promote blood flow to the area and help healing.

Try getting as much air to the area as possible-imagine if you have a cut on yr finger, it heals so much quicker without a plaster than with. Sit without undies on an old towel to catch your lochia, as many times and for as long as possible.

Buy some 'femepads' cool gel pads, theyre amazing pain relief. Seriously these are amazing.

And get lots of rest.

LadyintheRadiator Tue 09-Nov-10 20:15:37

My stitches too seemed to get worse before getting better. Sitting cross-legged in bed was agony. How did the MW check go? If all okay then please be assured it won't last... and fwiw I have healed so much quicker this time - after a tear - than after an episiotomy with my first baby.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: