Talk

Advanced search

like sciatica but on front of leg?

(3 Posts)
Goldrill Sun 07-Nov-10 16:47:57

apologies if this is me being blonde! Am 39+3 with first baby and have no signs of anything imminent happening although have been getting a lot of periody pains for a few days and am definitely feeling a lot more pressure in pelvis area.

Have been for a good walk with dog every day and usually find that it really helps to ease off pelvic aches and pains, but yesterday it made them much worse and I started getting shooting pains down the front of my right thigh whenever I brought my leg forward.

Is this a baby shifting position and hitting a nerve thing? (is that even possible as not sure which nerves it could be?)Am a bit worried as I used to run a bit and have had gait problems in the past which damaged knees - wondering if my tendency to waddle might be storing up future problems? All thoughts appreciated!

lucy101 Sun 07-Nov-10 19:26:03

I am guessing it could be that the baby is more engaged and pressing a nerve as you near the birth. I guess try and find positions that aleviate it and don't keep doing anything that makes it worse (I have some permanent nerve damage from my last pregnancy). I don't quite know what you can do about waddling at 39 weeks.... apart from to give birth!

waitingforgoddot Mon 08-Nov-10 10:35:30

Poor you - I have had the same thing from 33 weeks onwards. I have been on crutches as a way of helping me to stay standing when out and about (not much out and about though!)and I have seen a maternal Phsyo every week. It does sounds like nerve pain but I am not a health professional.

I found that for comfort packs of frozen peas helped a lot.

I have also been told that only delivery of the baby would help - she did tell me not to try and 'walk' though the pain though, that when it happens to stop and let it subside and not to keep going.

If I were you I would contact your midwife and ask to be referred to a phsyo urgently - if you are in pain then you are in pain. Good luck, sorry I can't be more help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now