Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

like sciatica but on front of leg?

(3 Posts)
Goldrill Sun 07-Nov-10 16:47:57

apologies if this is me being blonde! Am 39+3 with first baby and have no signs of anything imminent happening although have been getting a lot of periody pains for a few days and am definitely feeling a lot more pressure in pelvis area.

Have been for a good walk with dog every day and usually find that it really helps to ease off pelvic aches and pains, but yesterday it made them much worse and I started getting shooting pains down the front of my right thigh whenever I brought my leg forward.

Is this a baby shifting position and hitting a nerve thing? (is that even possible as not sure which nerves it could be?)Am a bit worried as I used to run a bit and have had gait problems in the past which damaged knees - wondering if my tendency to waddle might be storing up future problems? All thoughts appreciated!

lucy101 Sun 07-Nov-10 19:26:03

I am guessing it could be that the baby is more engaged and pressing a nerve as you near the birth. I guess try and find positions that aleviate it and don't keep doing anything that makes it worse (I have some permanent nerve damage from my last pregnancy). I don't quite know what you can do about waddling at 39 weeks.... apart from to give birth!

waitingforgoddot Mon 08-Nov-10 10:35:30

Poor you - I have had the same thing from 33 weeks onwards. I have been on crutches as a way of helping me to stay standing when out and about (not much out and about though!)and I have seen a maternal Phsyo every week. It does sounds like nerve pain but I am not a health professional.

I found that for comfort packs of frozen peas helped a lot.

I have also been told that only delivery of the baby would help - she did tell me not to try and 'walk' though the pain though, that when it happens to stop and let it subside and not to keep going.

If I were you I would contact your midwife and ask to be referred to a phsyo urgently - if you are in pain then you are in pain. Good luck, sorry I can't be more help.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: