Talk

Advanced search

Is it OK to still be tearful when your baby is 2 1/2 week old..?

(27 Posts)
bigredtractor Thu 04-Nov-10 17:35:48

Hello,

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but I have a lovely healty baby boy, born 2 1/2 weeks ago and I'm still feeling really up & down - suddenly tearful for no apparent reason, followed by OK again win 15 mins!

Is this normal?!!
Thanks!

dinkystinky Thu 04-Nov-10 17:37:41

Yes - your hormones are still all over the place. Enjoy your baby and be kind to yourself.

ThighsBurntOnABigRocket Thu 04-Nov-10 17:38:58

Yes yes yes! Very normal. Very very normal!!

Just rest, and enjoy your little boy!

bigredtractor Thu 04-Nov-10 17:42:31

Thank you! It just seems irrational - I don't have anything to really be so weepy about!!

iwantavuvezela Thu 04-Nov-10 17:45:04

I was inhaling rescue remedy for at least 6 weeks! it is very normal, i even told my dh, to just let me be, i'd have a cry and then feel fine
ps the rescue rememdy did help me!

Timbachick Thu 04-Nov-10 17:47:34

Oh, it's soooooo normal to be like this. Hormones going wild, massive changes. Lots of things will seem irrational at this stage of the game. smile

Just try and rest and enjoy your new baby.
Congratulations, by the way. grin

daisyj Thu 04-Nov-10 17:48:30

Oh yes, completely normal smile. I was quite up and down - I remember doing really well and then suddenly being in tears to the midwife on a follow-up visit at five weeks (dd was a little slow to regain birth weight so I was still getting visits at that point) and sobbing 'I'm fine, really, I'm fine'. Just keep an eye on yourself and if it goes on more than, say, 8 weeks or so, and you feel sluggish and down, then maybe just have a chat with GP or midwife. At this stage I wouldn't worry, though - and 'rational' doesn't really come into it!

daisyj Thu 04-Nov-10 17:49:14

Oh yes, rescue remedy, good advice!

bigredtractor Thu 04-Nov-10 18:15:32

Thanks everyone - will invest in some Rescue Remedy I think!

KenDoddsDadsDogHatesFireworks Thu 04-Nov-10 18:20:26

Very normal. Mine was like a timetable. I started to weep at 6pm on the dot and I mean weep and didn't stop til 9pm. It was uncontrollable and unpreventable. Lasted 3 to 4 weeks.

JamieJay Thu 04-Nov-10 18:24:20

I'm still having odd hormonal days at 12 weeks post birth so 2 1/2 weeks is totally normal.

BCBG Thu 04-Nov-10 18:29:08

Aw bless! {smile]...as everyone else has said, totally normal and mainly hormonal grin, but lack of sleep, and the dip that follows the euphoria of birth, all the help that was there in the first few days (like partners!) vanishing and feeling on your own...... body needing more if you are BF...etc etc etc! Can you get more kip? Now is also the time to find your nearest mother and baby group just so you can see a friendly face from time to time... congratulations btw xx

Bobby99 Fri 05-Nov-10 09:56:25

Oh yes, perfectly normal! I howled everytime I saw someone I hadn't seen since the birth, when the post arrived, when a bunch of flowers were delivered, when I spoke to anyone on the phone... Don't you feel silly when it happens!! But it's very very normal.

cardamomginger Fri 05-Nov-10 13:35:58

Completely normal!! grin congratulations XXX

Eliza70 Fri 05-Nov-10 17:17:56

Very normal. I spoke to my GP (who is a friend) about 10 days after having my baby and she said older mums (I was also 38 when I had my first baby) can take a bit longer to get the hormones under control!

I think its more if you get really, really gloomy and feel a bit worthless and like you can't cope that you maybe need to think about a bit of help. Mention it at your six week check if you are still feeling not totally yourself. x

MummyMellie Sat 06-Nov-10 10:15:09

If you are still feeling up and down at six weeks make sure they check your thyroid levels - this can get low after birth and really messes up your hormones. Don't let them fob you off!
And most importantly - tell someone, don't struggle on alone. x

Bumperlicious Sat 06-Nov-10 13:45:37

DD2 is 6 weeks and i cried last night.

Eliza70 Sat 06-Nov-10 20:42:57

Bumperlicious are you feeling low all the time or was it a one off?

saggarmakersbottomknocker Sat 06-Nov-10 20:46:18

Yes it's normal. Hormones and sleep depravation.

Mine are 22, 19 and 17 and they still make me weep wink

Congrats on your baby.

Lougle Sat 06-Nov-10 20:48:33

You were pregnant for 9 months - wanting it all under control after 2.5 weeks is a bit ambitious smile

bluesmile10 Sat 06-Nov-10 20:53:27

Absolutely - I couldnt even go to the supermarket on my own for weeks after DS was born in case someone asked me how I was and I burst into tears!!! Agree with the older mum thing - I was just 40 when he was born in May.

Bumperlicious Sat 06-Nov-10 22:40:40

Nah, ita not all the time but not one off either. Mine is usually tiredness & frustration at a cluster feeding baby. Normal crap really.

Swazzee Sat 04-Dec-10 15:42:49

I feel like this too and my twins are 2 weeks old tomorrow. Sometimes I cry because I feel I can't cope, and other times I cry with genuine happiness at how beautiful they are and thinking about them growing up. I'm usually fine until someone asks me how I am or I open my mouth to speak to DH (he's finding it hard seeing me crying all the time - he's always been one of those men who don't like seeing women cry) The health visitor came yesterday and I spoke to her perfectly composed for 30 minutes or so and then she asked how I was and I just burst out crying.

So glad I'm not the only one.

Makinglists Sat 04-Dec-10 18:02:47

DS2 is 4 weeks and my moods are all over the place - one minute optomistic and in control and the next in tears and despair - glad I read this thread and I appear 'normal' what ever that is!!! - all the best to you all.

Bixie Sat 04-Dec-10 21:47:44

It's when you're still like it when your 'baby' is 1 1/2 that you have to start worrying my dear! Seriously, hormone levels are all over the shop and it's perfectly normal. In fact, i'd think there was something wrong if you WEREN'T hormonal at this stage
xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now