Talk

Advanced search

Clary Sage Oil

(9 Posts)
NoTeaForMe Thu 14-Oct-10 19:23:56

Hi,

I read on here today about Clary Sage Oil to induce labour and everyone said they went into labour mere hours after bathing in it or massaging it in. Anyway I then got my husband to get me some and now I can't find the thread to show him!!

I know that nothing really is that proven to make you go into labour but I'm giving everything a go!

I've just had a mug of Raspberry Leaf Tea, does anyone know how many I should/can have a day?!

Thanks!

megonthemoon Thu 14-Oct-10 19:27:42

Did nothing for me - I went 13 days overdue

In fact, nothing except the prostin gel in hospital worked for me with DD, and even that only on the second attempt, and I did try everything!

I think that sex worked with DS - that was the last thing i tried before going into labour anyway!

The baby will only come when it's ready, regardless of your efforts, I'm afraid.

NoTeaForMe Thu 14-Oct-10 19:51:52

I know that really megonthemoon I'm only due today too!! But I had a show on Tuesday and do feel a bit hmm so thought it would be worth trying all these home remedies!!

mrsmindcontrol Thu 14-Oct-10 21:07:30

I'm pretty sure that both Clary Sage Oil and Raspberry Leaf Tea are supposed to strengthen your uterus and increase the intensity of your contractions rather than bring on labour.

I used Clary Sage with DS1 and had a hideous labour. Continuous contractions for 7 hours. And I do mean continuous. It was hell.

Would NOT recommend.

I've had 3 babies now and can safely say that induction was the only thing that made any of them come out before they were ready.

HollyBollyBooBoo Mon 08-Nov-10 02:17:39

Raspberry leaf tea - need it in big doses, tablets are a more efficient way if ingesting than tea and it doesn't induce labour (IMO nothing but Mother Nature does this!) but makes you uterine contractions more efficient during labour. Clary sage ditto, I had it applied to my stomach in hosp instead of oxytocin injection to deliver afterbirth.

Both worth trying what's to lose!

chillichill Mon 08-Nov-10 08:55:13

did nothing for me. sex worked to break my waters(a mear 3 hours after having it) but then did not.go into labour and had to be induced 3 days later

mum2oneloudbaby Mon 08-Nov-10 09:08:21

had ds 6 days ago after spending some time smelling clary sage on a tissue. I was also given it to smell by the mw during labour with dd didn't work that time but this time round bought the clary sage monday spent monday night sniffing it and went into labour tuesday.

Not saying it works to bring on labour but it's a lovely conincidence if not and it definately makes contractions feel stronger.

toddlerwrangler Mon 15-Nov-10 20:38:45

Fantastic stuff. Midwife reccomended it - I was 10 day over and DESPERATE to avoid being induced, so t be on the safe side I sniffed it, ubbed it on my tummy and went home and had a bath in it.

Got out of bed 3.30am with back pain. Went int hopsital at 6am to find I was 5cm dilated (after being told on the phone I was in no where near enough pain to be in labour!), 10.28am had an Alfie on gas and air. I am a whimp when it comes to pain but even I could cope!

dikkertjedap Mon 15-Nov-10 23:08:42

if you put it in bath ideally put 4 drops in milk or vodka mix well and then add to bath water, in this way it properly disperses.

do not use pure clary sage on skin, much too strong, add a few drops to a carrier oil such as sweet almond oil or if you don't have a carrier oil, sunflower oil for cooking or vegetable oil or even olive oil although that will be a bit greasy.

Aroma therapy oils should not be used undiluted (dangerous!) except lavender in case of burns. Obviously never take aroma therapy oil internally (extremely dangerous).

I trained as aroma therapy therapist and I must say I think it is quite irresponsible that a lot of shops sell them over the counter without proper advice/leaflets, they are not just good they can also do harm.

Anyway, good luck and I hope labour will come soon for you. To lift your spirits you can also try Neroli (quite expensive) or petitgrain or Green Mandarin in a burner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now