Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

What would YOU say was the most painful stage of labour?

(291 Posts)
Dozeyland Tue 12-Oct-10 14:27:26

in regards to dilation, the babys delivery, contractions etc etc

winnybella Tue 12-Oct-10 14:28:36

Transition.

nikki1978 Tue 12-Oct-10 14:29:00

Agree transition is the worst

ShowOfBloodyStumps Tue 12-Oct-10 14:29:17

All of it. From the second my waters broke to the moment 2 days later when they made a slash and grab to get her out.

It was such exquisite pain, my bones were screaming.

ShowOfBloodyStumps Tue 12-Oct-10 14:29:46

Actually, just to add. Except for transition. Didn't hurt a bit.

piratecat Tue 12-Oct-10 14:31:19

all of it, just a big excruciating blur of pain. sorry but you asked. i do think mine was on the higher end of awful tho, or maybe not. It's all personal isn't it.

Matsikula Tue 12-Oct-10 14:31:37

The part where they thought I was fully dilated (I wasn't) and my waters had broken (they hadn't) and were encouraging me to push. Wasn't actually the most painful part, but because nothing was really happening, it felt much worse than the bit the registrar told me I'd probably want an epidural for.

OooeeeoooeeeoooeeEthel Tue 12-Oct-10 14:34:16

Definitely transition. You think you know pain? Its a whole nother level. Contractions are a walk in the park in comparison.

picc Tue 12-Oct-10 14:34:36

this time: pushing. rest of it fairly manageable (talking relatively here!!)

pushing was awful and seemingly went on forever without getting me anywhere. but he was a big baby and got stuck, so maybe that's why!

(shows that every labour is different, doesn't it?!)

PrivetDancer Tue 12-Oct-10 14:35:01

The first bit, when they didn't believe I was in labour and put me on ante natal ward on a monitor so I was trying not to disturb people. Once I got downstairs on the gas and air it was fine.

buttonmoon78 Tue 12-Oct-10 14:35:55

Pushing and crowning. That crowning pain still makes me feel cold and shaky. That's after 3.5 yrs and now ttc#4!

wem Tue 12-Oct-10 14:37:02

Crowning, and waiting for that final contraction to push dd2 out, but then I had a third degree tear, so that's probably why,

LynetteScavo Tue 12-Oct-10 14:37:20

I was going to say towards the end of the first stage, but I guess that's transition.

Dozeyland Tue 12-Oct-10 14:38:20

Transition....

explain to me. i've heard what it is but how would you describe it?

My MW said not everyone experiences transition?

HalfTermHero Tue 12-Oct-10 14:38:50

Transition.

LynetteScavo Tue 12-Oct-10 14:39:01

Crowning didn't hurt atall for me. I didn't even know DS was comming out, but I looked and there he was.

I could feel DD coming out. They call it the 2ring of fire", but it really didn't hurt that much. I just thought "oh, so this is what it feels like"

izzybiz Tue 12-Oct-10 14:39:59

Just as you come to transition, the pain is constant, and you think you could actually die!

The pushing for me was just as painful but I felt I could 'do' something with it IYKWIM.

hildathebuilder Tue 12-Oct-10 14:40:44

In my case I didn't notice transition. But then I had a 2 hour labour and a prem son.

LadyintheRadiator Tue 12-Oct-10 14:42:00

Crowning, but it had a weird euphoria attached that thank fuck it was going to be over (I had a LONG second stage)

Transition I don't remember at all but I suppose it was crap, I do remember thinking I wanted to be sick but I wasn't

It's so magical hmm

upahill Tue 12-Oct-10 14:42:01

I can't remember!!! grin It was such along time ago.
I've never heard of tranistion!

undercovamutha Tue 12-Oct-10 14:42:28

Crowning - argh! Awful. Rest of it was (relatively) manageable.

sphil Tue 12-Oct-10 14:42:50

Crowning for definite. With DS2 the contractions weren't too bad at all. With DS1 they were, but that's because I was induced.

When DS2 was crowning I told DH to turn the TENS machine up to 10 (well 'told' is probably a polite way of putting it). He did so and I nearly leapt off the bed, much to midwife's amusement! Took mind off the pain for a second though smile

Spirael Tue 12-Oct-10 14:45:54

The stitches afterwards! The labour and birth weren't too bad, but the stitches smarted a bit. Probably would have stung less if I'd have had some pain relief though.

I don't think I experienced transition, or the ring of fire. confused But then everything happened so fast I didn't really get chance to figure out what was going on until after it happened!

upahill Tue 12-Oct-10 14:46:39

Crowning! Transition! Blimey I thought I just gave birth!!
Things were diferent last century y'know!!

Hawkmoth Tue 12-Oct-10 14:47:51

Apart from going to the toilet without thinking to ask someone to bring the Gas and Air upstairs... by far the most painful part of childbirth is having a shit two days afterwards. No joke.

And I thought I was dying when the afterpains hit following DC2. They were frightening, and a bit of a surprise.

Labour is positive pain - you know what's going on and why, afterwards, when you're knackered and a bit in shock... when these things pop up and surprise you it's bloody hprrible.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: