Advanced search

Do I have to be induced at 41+5?

(11 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Wed 06-Oct-10 22:11:36

NB - Natalie Cassidy was 'Sonia' on Eastenders.

DuelingFanjo Wed 06-Oct-10 22:10:56

fadingfast that's such an interesting article. Thank you for linking to it.

Slightly off topic... I have heard 2 stories this week about mums who were told they should be induced because of too much fluid around teh baby - one of those being Natalie Cassidy and the other the wife of a friend. Natalie Cassidy decided on a C-Section as her doctor warned that an induction might not work. While I know that this can be an indication of something being wrong I wonder if some mothers are scared into induction by the 'too much fluid' thing as much as they are by the 'you're over due' and 'your placenta will fail' thing.

I am due on the 11th Dec and have a feeling they will want to induce me on 20th Dec, which I want to resist but given that I am 40 I worry that they will go heavy on the emotional blackmail.

fadingfast Wed 06-Oct-10 21:10:19

Have you seen this: nt-for-10-months

auburnlizzy78 Wed 06-Oct-10 19:55:40

Hi licorice - I am the same as you, 41+4 today, and I am due for induction at 9am tomorrow. My last post on the subject is here (hope link works) -induction-for-quot-convenience-quot-is-this-reaso nable?pg=2

I am slightly different from you as I haven't had a show and the baby is in a slightly odd position so probably not going to come without help. Plus I always envisaged a hospital birth not a home birth. After asking on here I really wanted to avoid induction. But at twelve days over I don't think my body is remotely close as I said in my post, and I think, personally, that at this point he is better out than in. But no one is putting me on a bloody drip and having me lie flat - I am going to stay in control of the process as far as possible. They might be medical staff, but my body is MINE and I am the expert on it after nearly 32 years, and I will decide what happens to it, unless there is a damned good reason to defer to the doctors!

I don't think there is a right answer to be honest. It depends on what feels right for you. We are having to make crucial decisions without full information. No one knows when the placenta will fail, no one knows if the baby is distressed or quite happy, and no one can predict when things will start naturally. Not you and, crucially, not the medical staff either. So trust your instincts - I wish you luck whatever you decide.

LadyintheRadiator Wed 06-Oct-10 19:36:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyintheRadiator Wed 06-Oct-10 19:21:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

liquoriceandtomatoes Wed 06-Oct-10 18:49:58

Thanks for your responses, I do really feel that I'll go into labour over the next few days but because of the weekend they'll probably insist I go in for induction on Friday at latest. They don't seem keen on monitoring (I've not been offered a scan just heartbeat monitoring)at this hospital and I don't know how I can say no to a Friday induction if they keep saying 'baby at risk'. I wish I lived in France, as I now feel very stressed and guilty - I was crying after the phone call I had with mw, I really do loathe the NHS but they do have emotional blackmail on their side, why are they not interested in the show or pre-labour contractions, lots of kicking or that there is no high blood pressure? This is my first baby so I feel like I'm going to have to do what the hospital and mw's want. I also feel that I'm now down as a trouble-maker because I wanted to wait until 42+2.

OP’s posts: |
TheBreastmilksOnMe Wed 06-Oct-10 18:32:44

Term is classed as 37-42 weeks so you are not overdue until you reach 42 weeks. The placenta an start to detiriorate from 37 weeks and the chances of stillbirth increase ever so slightly after this time but you can ask for expectant management which is where you have a scan every few days to check that the placenta is working efficiently. Plenty of women go over with no ill effects on the baby.

In France you are not classed as overdure until afetr you are 42 weeks. Some women just gestate for longer. Don't let them bully you. The fcat that you have had a show and are getting some tightenings is a positive sign and that your body is gearing up for labour.

Don't be pressured or bullied into someting that doesn't sit comfortably with you. Do some research and get some facts so that you are not bewildered into making a decision that you don't want. Good luck.

DuelingFanjo Wed 06-Oct-10 18:27:26

You don't have to. With all the test you have had it sounds like everyting is fine. Ask them why the baby is at risk and ask for monitoring.

You should say to them that they are free to book the induction but you won't be turning up.

warthog Wed 06-Oct-10 18:25:35

did you ask them to elaborate about 'putting your baby at risk'?

my understanding is that the placenta may start to fail at approx 42 weeks.

i'm sorry you're feeling bullied. i think i would say just that: 'please stop bullying me and give me some good reasons why i have to be induced.'

ultimately only you can make that call.

does seem to me that your body is gearing up for labour though.

liquoriceandtomatoes Wed 06-Oct-10 18:20:48

I really want(ed) a natural home birth, at least a drug free birth but I'm now overdue and will be 41+5 tomorrow, I've just found out that my hospital generally induces at 41+5 but from what I've read on mumsnet other women go to 42+ weeks. I had my mw check me yesterday and heartbeat, blood pressure fine, I've had a show and intermittent contractions for a few days - nothing currently and I can feel kicking regularly. My MW yesterday started saying what they'll 'allow' and used the phrase 'putting my baby at risk' as I said I wanted to wait until just after 42 weeks. I've just had a different mw call me as I've re-arranged a consultant appt and she said also I was putting my baby at risk.

I now feel so bullied, emotional and pretty distraught!!!!!!!! I'm ready to go in tomorrow and agree to an induction as it's bad enough being this overdue but I can't really take the emotional blackmail anymore. They seem to think that my baby is about to die tomorrow, certainly if I wait until Monday. So I just think they must have evidence for this otherwise they wouldn't have this 41+5 induction rule in place and I must be being selfish. Is there evidence? What should I do? And how on any level can I hope for a natural birth with this level of blackmail?

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in