Talk

Advanced search

getting contractions going after waters break?

(18 Posts)
IBlameThePenguins Tue 21-Sep-10 19:25:42

Hi I'm posting on behalf of my sister, her waters broke this morning on her EDD, but nothing else has really happenned since...just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or tips on how she can get things going??

TIA xx

TheBreastmilksOnMe Tue 21-Sep-10 19:29:21

They will either start by themselves soon or she will have to go in due to the risk of infection. I wouldn't interfere with trying to 'bring labour on' myself. Most things are just old-wives tales anyway. Even keeping active isn't always a good idea as she might have a long, drawn out labour and getting rest would be better advice. Good luck to your sister.

IBlameThePenguins Tue 21-Sep-10 19:37:32

OK, thanks for your advice grin She'll be logging on to have a look at the replies soon!

bubbahubba Tue 21-Sep-10 20:05:02

hi
does she have a ball she can bounce on?
she doesn't necessarily have to go in to be induced. I waited over 90 hours for my labour to start (and it did). i took my temperature every four hours, kept clean, had showers etc. and all was good.
some 'clary sage' from boots might help to sniff too? nipple tweaking / put the breastpump on.
spending a lot of time on hands and knees / bouncing on the ball.

she must rest too - that is vital!!!!!

IBlameThePenguins Tue 21-Sep-10 20:27:28

thanks bubbahubba! Yep, she's been ball bouncing, and is going to get her DP a-tweakin'!! Her waters broke at 6am, so she has managed to get a good rest in, and a nice walk too...How exciting!!

StrangewaysHereICome Tue 21-Sep-10 20:35:30

That happened to me in both my pregnancies - first time my contractions started 12 hours later and second time they started 8 hours later. I did alot of walking about, and resting, warm baths, watched TV but I felt very restless. They will start - best of luck to her smile.

lillylane Tue 21-Sep-10 20:37:34

Hello, I'm in the same boat. Waters went 2am today, 1 week early. Went to birth centre and I have until 8am tomorrow before they want me to come to labour ward and bee induced. Not what I had planned!
I have had period pain type contractions on and off but nothing regular still. I have been up and down the stairs more times than I care to count. Have been eating pineapple and just had a vindaloo.( Old wives tales I know but I'm desperate) Went out for a walk earlier for 1.5 hours which slowed everything right down.Damn.
Running out of ideas.
Maybe some of the above would work for your sister?
Wishing her good luck! x

Niecie Tue 21-Sep-10 20:44:54

Mine took about 8 hours to get going. DH and I built the cot whilst we were waiting for some action - had only been delivered that week so I suppose I was pretty active. I couldn't have rested even if I wanted to -too excited/scared/eager to get on with it. I think you just have to do what you feel like. As soon as I did make the effort to go to bed I started to get minor pains so I got up again.

I would keep eating and drinking little amounts to keep her strength up. I didn't because I thought labour might start any minute and then when labour started I couldn't face it so by the time DS was born it was 30 hours later and I had hardly had anything in all that time.

Hope things get going soon. Good luck!! smile

bubbahubba Tue 21-Sep-10 20:47:58

Really think about if you NEED to go in. If anything, you have less chance of infection at home than you do in a hospital. give your body a chance.....the risk is something like 0.5%

Good luck

StrangewaysHereICome Tue 21-Sep-10 20:49:46

Oh Lillylane try not to put too much pressure on yourself. Try going to bed and rest, that usually gets them going!! You don't have to be induced if you don't want it, 48 hours is a reasonable time to let things get going. As long as baby is happy and you are happy you can wait a bit longer.

Good luck x

lillylane Tue 21-Sep-10 21:36:21

bubbahubba StrangewaysHereICome* Thank you that is good to know. Not really putting pressure on myself, was just a bit surprised when I walked around the streets for over an hour and then everything just stopped. I thought that was supposed to get things going!? Will have a word tomorrow morning about waiting a bit more to be induced. Or, better option, present them with a baby!

StrangewaysHereICome Wed 22-Sep-10 11:08:00

Hi Lily hope things are moving along nicely now.....

penguins how is your sister?

IBlameThePenguins Wed 22-Sep-10 14:20:21

Hi. Sorry for late reply. I've just got back from work. I know that DSis came on here last night, and she felt very reassured by everyone's posts, so Thank You.

I have just spoken to her - still nothing, so she is at the hospital for monitoring, and to have bloods taken etc, then they will formulate a plan from there. She had planned a HB, so I think she's feeling a bit dispondent. Should know more soon.

Lillyanne, I hope things are going well.

SelinaDoula Wed 22-Sep-10 14:28:15

Has she looked at the Spinning babies website.
If I was there, adfter monitoring etyc
If all was well I would insist on going home.
If you could use a cloth like a rebozo and do Manteada sifting for 10 mins, then she should do an inversion for as long as possible (at least 30 mins if she can).
It is likely baby is posterior.
Have a look at-
spinningbabies.blogspot.com/2008/02/alternative-to -induction.html
spinningbabies.blogspot.com/2007/02/how-to-do-inve rsion.html
spinningbabies.blogspot.com/2008/01/sifting-with-r ebozo-scarf-manteado.html
wellroundedmama.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-fetal-pos ition-can-affect-labor.html

Hope things work out.
Selina

IBlameThePenguins Wed 22-Sep-10 14:40:27

Thanks selina, thats some really useful advice. I think she is planning on coming home after monitoring, so will point her to the links.

Thanks again

SelinaDoula Wed 22-Sep-10 14:49:53

The rebozo is actually quite easy to do with any large throw type cloth. Do that for 10 mins before the inversion.
These techniques can be very useful.
Am happy to chat on the phone if she wants any tips etc.
PM me and I will give you my phone muber or she can look on my website-
www.magicalbirth.co.uk/
S x

IBlameThePenguins Wed 22-Sep-10 15:28:19

Selina, thats a really lovely offer. Thank You. I havent been able to get in touch for a little while, but I have text her to tell her about your offer... I will PM you as soon as I hear from her.

xx

IBlameThePenguins Wed 22-Sep-10 16:49:12

just spoke to her, she is coming home from hosp soon. I have given her the mobile number from your website. Hope thats ok. We are both really grateful!

xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now