Talk

Advanced search

Asking for induction for "convenience" - is this reasonable in the circumstances?

(45 Posts)
auburnlizzy78 Tue 21-Sep-10 15:37:36

Am 39 + 3 today with first baby. Head engaged but I know now that doesn't mean much in terms of predicting when the baby's going to come. I am now feeling pretty uncomfortable for a variety of reasons but can put up with that.

I am due this Saturday 25th and DH is taking a week of leave, then unpaid leave before the baby turns up (hopefully only a couple of days) then his two weeks paternity leave (so altogether his leave will be 25th Sept to on or after 15 Oct). The prime reason for this is not actually the baby - he has OU finals on 13 and 15 October, the culmination of four years work, alongside holding down a full time job. This will therefore give him time to study. He can go to his mum's down the road for sleep and quiet time if the baby is disruptive! He is on for a first if he does well, and these exams are really really important to his and our future.

So would it be unreasonable to demand (in the nicest way) an induction -from NHS- on say 3 or 4 October if nothing has happened by then? Otherwise if I get to 42 weeks plus that's the week of DH's exams! I am also terrified about increasing risks of stillbirth at 42 weeks plus. What do you think, and what would you do in my situation? thanks v much

OP’s posts: |
pixiestix Wed 22-Sep-10 12:01:28

Oh god, I'm supposed to be induced for diabetes on Friday and I'm really wishing I hadn't read this thread sad

Alibabaandthe40nappies Wed 22-Sep-10 12:36:43

pixie - you have a very valid reason for being induced. I think what everyone here is saying to the OP is that convenience is not a good reason to go through induction, it's obviously preferable to go into labour naturally.

In your situation though, your health and the health of your baby dictate that you should be induced, which is exactly what the process is there for. You will be fine, honestly. If it helps, my Mum was induced with me and one of my brothers, and gave birth naturally both times although she did have an epidural with both of us.

JustDoMyLippyThenWeWillGo Wed 22-Sep-10 12:42:07

I was really concerned about going too far over term, but didn't want induced either! Anyway, had to be induced as waters broke meconium, would not recommend induction unless absolutely necessary for the reasons others have said. Was horrible. Hope baby decides to come before that, good luck smile

timperly Wed 22-Sep-10 12:58:00

If your main issue is that your DH has OU exams, then I'd suggest you speak to the OU about the problem rather than your midwife. There may well be something that the OU can do to help you, and he can also file some special circumstances forms explaining about the newborn baby and the difficulties in studying etc. The OU is really quite understanding about the difficulties its students can face, and can be more flexible than you'd think.

dilbertina Wed 22-Sep-10 13:43:50

Pixiestix - try not to worry! I have type 1 diabetes and 3dc. I was induced with first 2, the gel only did enough to dilate to break waters, that didn't start contractions either so eventually I had the drip both times...I did have epidurals. Both birth experiences were fine, no instruments were needed, I didn't need stitches etc. You can have a very positive birth experience despite induction. Birth number 3 I went in to labour naturally...and ended up with emergency cs! All dc were fine and I look back happily on all 3 births (even emergency cs one!) Good luck!

ALovelyBunchOfCoconuts Wed 22-Sep-10 13:46:54

I am also in the "no" camp.

I was induced at 40+11 and it was awful. Permanently attached to the bed and wires/monitors/drips, ended up having episiotomy and ventouse and I am adamant that if I had waited a few more days the baby would have come natuarlly.

If I am lucky enough to have a second baby I would leave it as long as medically safe, not just on my local hospital's say so.

i'm pretty sure that babies come when they are ready. I've never heard of one staying in the womb until 50 weeks or something grin

Karoleann Wed 22-Sep-10 13:52:27

Hi, I was induced last time at 40+6 as my childcare (my mum) wasn't available the following week and i would have had to give birth by myself.
The induction was fine - BUT i was private. TBH the NHS are never going to induce you for non-medical reasons.

pommedeterre Wed 22-Sep-10 14:00:58

I have to be induced to give birth due to a medical issue and I would not recommend it if you don't have to. I do however understand the pressures of normal life and how a baby fits into things going on that are very important to everyone's future.
If you understand that an induced birth will be more, well, yucky then ask away.

IsThatTheTime Wed 22-Sep-10 14:04:48

I was induced with my first and would not recommend choosing this route. With my second I was also overdue but had what I would describe as a pretty full-on sweep from the MW which kicked things off within 12 hours - you could try asking MW for similar? Not sure how long you have to be over 40w before they will do it... I second whoever said about contacting the OU, think this is a much safer plan all round!

warthog Wed 22-Sep-10 14:05:45

having had an induction and a natural birth i would strongly advise you to avoid an induction if possible.

re. stillbirth. you are closely monitored the more overdue you get. you are not just left.

nothing to lose by asking, but make sure you know what you are letting yourself in for!

auburnlizzy78 Wed 22-Sep-10 15:03:57

Thanks everyone - yes, I have spoken to DH on several occasions about speaking to the OU and filing special circumstances forms. No way of moving the actual exams as I've said earlier. DH is resisting - I suspect he thinks that if he gets special dispensation then he will never really know for sure if his marks were genuine or whether they felt sorry for him and bumped him up a bit. Which is silly, but I do understand - again there is a bit of history behind this which isn't really relevant to this thread.

Plus I think it is too late now - we have known about this baby for nine months, why wait until three weeks before to start bleating about personal circumstances?

I am seeing the midwife today and will discuss with her - I think if I can get daily monitoring after reaching week 41 I will feel a lot better - and we'll work out a plan of action for all the possible scenarios. The chance of me getting to 42 weeks + are fairly slim, but if it happens then we will need a plan to deal with it.

OP’s posts: |
auburnlizzy78 Wed 22-Sep-10 18:11:17

No chance of daily monitoring here (North Herts) until 40+12 apparently - due to "resource constraints". shock The best thing I can do is just wait it out..... I can ask for an induction, or they will naturally offer it at 40 + 12.

Initial plan is now to have a sweep at 40+6 which has a 50% chance of working apparently.

If it doesn't, I don't think I will ask for the induction. It is frustrating but it sounds like it will definitely be better to wait, and I can do "daily monitoring" myself just by keeping track of the baby's movements. If there's nything I don't like, such as a marked slowing down, I should get straight down to the hospital.

OP’s posts: |
IsThatTheTime Thu 23-Sep-10 11:01:32

Good stuff, hopefully it'll come along soon and all your worry will be in vain smile

Good luck!

nunnie Thu 23-Sep-10 11:09:08

I myself have my final OU exam on the 20th of October, and y baby is due on the 28th of October. I personally wouldn't request an early induction for the sake of exams. The OU are very understanding and he can defer his exam if you go into labour before he sits it. I have looked into this of course, due to mine being 8 days before I am due.

nunnie Thu 23-Sep-10 11:13:28

Ooops just seen resit bit sorry, should learn to read.

The OU don't do special circumstances as such for "normal pregnancies" I have looked into this as well. I can get a seat near the door for regular loo runs, but everything else is the same as my previous exams. I have the option to defer if needs be so my situation is slightly different.

Good luck for both the baby and the exams.

auburnlizzy78 Thu 23-Sep-10 11:14:19

Nunnie, that is interesting - I will tell DH this and maybe he can check with them again what the position is. A deferral of a week or so would be ok, but wouldn't want to defer to the new year as he needs to get his degree result (which takes weeks to come through!) and then start applying for jobs/grad scheme places!

Hope you aren't too stressed with revision, and that you can fit behind your desk in the exam hall! Good luck smile

OP’s posts: |
nunnie Thu 23-Sep-10 11:20:31

The OU for my degree which is law will only defer it to April. They don't defer them to be sat within a couple of weeks, as the exam paper itself can't be the same and has to be re written, so he would stuggle to get a deferral for days or weeks, it is usually months, in fact for most courses, there is a deferral/resit month already in place at the start of the course.

Do get him to ring them though, as they are very helpful and will go through his options with him.

Hope he gets some helpful advise.

BeneathCompetent Thu 23-Sep-10 14:11:47

The special circumstances paperwork doesn't necessarily do anything at all at the OU. All it means is that the relevant forms are sent to the award board, and the members of that board will consider your circumstances if your results are borderline between any of the statuses. Of course, that doesn't mean the board will agree that your circumstances significantly impacted upon your ability to prepare for the exam, but they will consider them. So your DH could complete the paperwork (including as much detail as possible) just in case.

Student services will definitely help him to think through his options.

auburnlizzy78 Wed 06-Oct-10 16:10:20

Just a quick update in case anyone is still following this thread. Nothing has happened and so I am being induced tomorrow as per NHS policy in this area. Not what I wanted, especially after hearing the stories above, but I think it's for the best -

i)Am twelve days over and the practice contractions I was getting on Saturday night haven't come back.

2) Two sweeps at +6 and + 9 both failed, because my cervix was unfavourable and midwife physically couldn't do it. If there had been significant progress between sweeps and a bit more of a chance I would go into labour naturally I might have felt differently.

3) Midwife says that my stomach muscles have separated so this means that although the baby is head down and mostly engaged he is not tightly held in the best position, he's sort of diagonal.

At this stage I think he is better out than in. But I won't let them intervene any more than is strictly necessary (with a drip and being forced to lie flat in bed etc).

Wish me luck!

OP’s posts: |
LoveJules3 Wed 06-Oct-10 16:47:20

Good luck AL!

Thought i'd let you know, all my dcs were induced, at 42w, 39+6, and 41+6, and i have to say i never had a bad experience.

DD1 was a pessary, DD2 was pessary and drip, as was DS1. Both times on the drip i insisted on being mobile and they worked the monitoring round me.Don't believe that you have to have an epidural on the drip either, I didn't. I had to have stitches each time, Thanks to DH passing on his HUGE head but came out having had a very positive experience.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed all goes well for you!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in