Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Can someone translate my maternity notes please?

(12 Posts)
BettyButterknife Tue 20-Jul-10 14:46:26

Stretch and sweep performed with consent -> External genitalia - NAD, Cervix posterior, uneffaced, thick, 2cm dilated, head -2 to ischialspines, membranes intact.

oopsandbabycoconuts Tue 20-Jul-10 14:50:21

basically:

external genetalia are fine, cervix is tucked back, still thick and long, slightly dialated (normal for second pregnancies) head is slightly engaged and your waters have not broken.

MumInBeds Tue 20-Jul-10 14:50:39

NAD = no abnormalities detected (all looks normal)

Cervix posterior and uneffaced means it is very early in the getting ready stages but 2cm isn't bad.

-2 means not engaged yet.

membranes intact means your waters haven't gone.

They all related to the Bishops Score.

BettyButterknife Tue 20-Jul-10 14:53:46

Ooh, thanks, so my Bishops Score is pretty low then?

I'm going into hospital on Friday to be monitored and to talk about induction. Sounds as though it wouldn't be much use yet though.

Ho hum, long walk for me this afternoon!

iskra Tue 20-Jul-10 14:54:13

You're not going into labour yet, but you're not that far off.

MumInBeds Wed 21-Jul-10 09:10:52

I hope the walking has helped things along for you.

linziblack Wed 29-Dec-10 11:44:30

Can someone translate the following notes for me cos i dont have a clue what the midwife meant. She told me I would be having baby very soon but when im reading her notes they seem different

long pres ceph post
cx posterior, closed, long

Thanks

stoatie Wed 29-Dec-10 20:00:55

long - longitudinal
presentation cephalic - so this means baby is head down and lying down your body (as opposed to transverse - which would be across)

Cervix is posterior, closed (can't admit fingertip so not yet dilated) and long (cervix starts off as a tube shape.

As to when your baby will come - hard to tell, good lucksmile

smoggii Wed 29-Dec-10 20:54:34

Betty - I read this and thought you had stolen my notes. Mine was identical to yours, i am currently 40+8 another attempt at a sweep tomorrow then appt with Consultant Friday to discuss options - although i think induction is my only option if nothing happens before then and that will be Monday.

smoggii Wed 29-Dec-10 20:55:38

Except i'm not dilated at all - 1st baby

linziblack Wed 29-Dec-10 21:59:49

Can the neck of your womb still be opened slightly if the cervix is still closed?

stoatie Thu 30-Dec-10 12:52:21

cervix - tube shape has an "external os" and "internal os". It is possible that external Os can be slightly dilated (for example in women who have had previous pregnancy this can occur when not even pregnant) but the internal OS is not dilated

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: