Talk

Advanced search

AIBU...? 8 year old on Facebook...?

(4 Posts)
simontrowell Mon 17-Sep-18 10:33:23

Received a friend request on Facebook from my 8 year old son yesterday... Would you allow your kids of that age access to social media sites that that...?

To elaborate;

He lives with his mum and sister and I see him once a month. On looking closely he has ten friends already, mainly family, but a few I do not recognise. Not many photos, yet, but it's in his name and using his photo as profile pic. I live with my wife and three other children, eldest 11, and we do not allow any of them access to Facebook or any other social media platforms.

I do understand that in some respects it's a great way to keep in contact with family members, but I simply do not agree that he should have access, even if it's supervised, which I doubt. He does have a phone which we use to talk constantly, and we send each other photos using WhatsApp as I do trust it's security and it is lovely to be able to talk like that sometimes, as well as regular phone and video calls too.

However, Facebook is an adult environment and besides the obvious grooming risks, I do have adult friends who I talk to and share things with, and I just don't think he should be seeing some of those things at his age.

Haven't accepted the friend request, he sent one to my wife too, they have a great relationship, but like me, she agrees that it is inappropriate for him to have his own account. I haven't spoken to my son's mother yet, but before I do, I just wondered what people's thoughts were...?

Laureline Fri 09-Nov-18 19:49:39

This was a couple months ago but: OP you have to be at least 13 to have a Facebook account. It’s a violation of the terms otherwise.

PhilomenaButterfly Fri 09-Nov-18 19:52:08

Yy Laureline.

CallMeRachel Fri 09-Nov-18 20:03:20

Maybe he's resorting to Facebook since you only appear to actually see him once a month? 🤷🏼‍♀️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: