Talk

Advanced search

FaceTime minimum age

(22 Posts)
woodsies1975 Fri 17-Nov-17 21:13:59

My SIL has been on the phone - my nephew has been given short shrift by his teacher today for using FaceTime and on Monday is being hauled in front of the headmaster and a PCSO is coming to talk to him and his friend, after the teacher found out they had been using FaceTime. He’s 10 btw. Now, I’m no expert but I was not under the impression 13 was the age limit for FaceTime. My kids (11 and 9) have their own Apple IDs as part of our family sharing and they use FaceTime. What do you think?

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Wed 06-Dec-17 13:12:50

Sounds a bit bonkers.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Wed 06-Dec-17 13:14:09

Is the headteacher confusing FaceTime with Facebook perhaps?

LemonysSnicket Wed 06-Dec-17 13:25:21

Well was he using it during school?

Migraleve Wed 06-Dec-17 13:27:18

More details needed. For instance, where was he using FaceTime? Who was he talking to?

dantdmistedious Wed 06-Dec-17 13:27:48

My 7 year olds talk to grandparents all the time on FaceTime.

Do you mean Facebook? Otherwise it’s all a bit odd.

NerrSnerr Wed 06-Dec-17 13:29:14

I’m surprised there’s an age limit for FaceTime. The PCSO thing seems odd unless it’s strangers they’re talking to.

Fishfingersandwichnocheese Wed 06-Dec-17 13:31:36

Who was he talking to ?

The man in the room next door to me in my hotel was using FaceTime to talk to his baby the other week. I’m sure a there’s no age limit.

LoverOfCake Wed 06-Dec-17 13:34:34

Getting the police involved seems a bit OTT and I'm one of the first to talk about the inappropriacy of pre teens on the internet.

But FaceTime is no different to a phone call but with video etc but the audio quality is better. I wonder also whether he's confusing FaceTime with facebook.

My DS used to talk to both me and his dad on FaceTime when he was ten. It meant nothing other than that he could see us when we spoke.

woodsies1975 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:18:38

He was chatting to one of his school friends, also age 9, after school, via Facetime. The teacher overheard their conversation about it, as they were arranging to do it again that night. They both have the same farming simulator game and wanted to Facetime each other about it. When she overheard them, that's when she dragged them before the Head. I asked my SIL if the teacher had got it confused with Facebook but apparently not. She has made a formal complaint.

woodsies1975 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:19:38

Sorry - his friend is 9, my nephew is only recently 10.

WhoWants2Know Wed 06-Dec-17 16:21:29

That’s nuts. How is it any different from Skype? My kids love chatting to their friends after school, the same way we all talked on the phone when we were kids

honeysucklejasmine Wed 06-Dec-17 16:23:19

Facetime is just a Skype sort of thing? Video calling?

What is the teacher on?!

Zoomaa Wed 06-Dec-17 16:24:21

Thad insane, it's like objecting to them using the phone!

My DC have been using FaceTime since they could talk (and before!)

Migraleve Wed 06-Dec-17 16:26:15

Given your further info I would say she has no grounds for complaint and no one will take this seriously. However there may be concerns things are not as the boys say and she is acting upon those concerns to ensure the kids safety.

RestingGrinchFace Wed 06-Dec-17 16:26:31

That's bizarre. I don't understand why FaceTime would be an issue.

strawberrypenguin Wed 06-Dec-17 16:29:19

But it’s just the same as phoning someone - only you can see them. Teacher sounds a bit bonkers to be honest, my 6 year old has used FaceTime to talk to his grandparents for years.

iloveredwine Wed 06-Dec-17 16:31:37

our school classes FaceTime as social media because you can take photos. it's banned because of bullying.

woodsies1975 Wed 06-Dec-17 16:31:48

My SIL has made a complaint about the way the boys were treated, it's not the teacher who has made a complaint. I work in a school and know how important internet safety is these days, and as a parent to a now 12 year old who is desperate for Facebook and Instagram (I'm not budging on that, no matter how long the sulks) I know how important it is for kids (and parents) to be careful. If the teacher had taken the time to speak to my SIL and the other boy's parents she would have discovered that both sets of parents knew and were in adjoining rooms so could hear everything. I'm certainly not going to stop my children from using Facetime to talk to their friends and grandparents, but I wondered if anyone knew of the legalities as an internet search didn't really throw anything up.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Wed 06-Dec-17 18:05:43

There is an age limit for a child to have their own Apple ID (13) but no age limit to use FaceTime with parental permission afaik. The teacher sounds a bit over-zealous.

MiaD13 Wed 24-Jan-18 09:42:49

This is nuts it's basically just a phone call but they can see each other lol

I think it's definitely getting confused with Facebook !

befbiund Wed 24-Jan-18 10:42:07

Under 13's can have an Apple ID. It just has to be linked to a parental account. I call my 9 year old
On her iPod all the time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: