Talk

Advanced search

Grand Theft Auto for 12 year old?

(8 Posts)
mrsmootoo Sat 02-Sep-17 14:48:18

DS, 12, has started asking for GTA because 'all his friends have it'. I have looked at various online discussion sites, some of which have parents who say it's not that bad; others feel the language and sex is OTT. I have discovered that DS does in fact have some '18' games and these do seem very violent, sadly, so maybe I'm being unreasonable about GTA. DS is at great pains to try and explain to me the difference between the 'story' game which you apparently have to download once you've bought the disc, and the 'playing online' version which he could do with his friends and supposedly doesn't have all the sex in it. Any thoughts welcome!

KingIrving Sat 16-Sep-17 21:23:32

Even my DS14 keeps begging to have it and it is no. It is not so much the sex but parts where you get points if you kill a prostitute with your car. No way

GherkinSnatch Sat 16-Sep-17 21:26:43

It's not the violence that makes GTA different, it's the sex. He's woefully uninformed about the difference between playing the story and playing online. My DH plays online with his friends and even if he's just driving around minding his own business (as it were...) the language is horribly offensive (not just your standard swears), and you are still surrounded by other players. There is no part of the game that would be suitable and untainted by the 18 rated parts.

YoungYolandaYorgensen39 Wed 06-Dec-17 13:17:27

Nope.

Cakescakescakes Wed 06-Dec-17 13:18:55

Not in a million years

MynewnameisKy Wed 06-Dec-17 13:22:21

Stick to your principles. It's absolutely dreadful.

Ds is 9 and "all" his friends play Halo online. I've spoken to a couple of the mothers and they apparently just turn the sound off.

It's not what I want for my nine year old.

HappyLollipop Wed 06-Dec-17 13:36:14

It's not suitable for a 12 year old maybe when he's 14+ it'll be ok, tell him in a couple years maybe but currently it's a no! Also the online player base is quite ott and rude so I'd be rather worried about that aspect. How come didn't you know he already was playing 18+ games? You need to familiarise yourself with his game console in order to monitor him.

Starlight2345 Wed 06-Dec-17 13:42:36

If everyone has it ..Which is doubtful it is down to feeling pressure that everyone else's child has it..At some point parents need to say its not ok..Makes life easier all the way round..MY DS (10) asked for it ..It was a no its an 18 and refused to discuss it further.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now