Talk

Advanced search

Whatsapp age limit?

(8 Posts)
CS2006 Tue 30-May-17 22:03:32

My ds is 11 and in last year at primary school. He's just had his first mobile and has asked if he can have whatsapp on there.
He's very sensible and we talk regularly about Internet safety. He wants it to keep in touch with family mainly... dad (we're seperated), grandma, auntie, etc..
I've looked at minimum age and was quite suprised to find it's 16! The potential dangers seem similar to other social media sites, so I'm not sure why the min age is higher.
I have been thinking that as long as his settings are closed and secure and he sticks to strict rules then I might allow it. He happily shares access with me and I know he'll tell me about anything he isn't sure about.
Any thoughts on WhatsApp and similar dilemas?

MarciaBlaine Tue 30-May-17 22:08:07

I use it for group chats with friends. Better than texting as free. Didn't think it was cool with the kids though. Instagram seems to be the thing. It's no different from sending text messages really. As with all these things, you keep an eye out.

Akire Tue 30-May-17 22:10:00

That is a suprise, as mostly it's just like texting 1-1 you can't be tagged or friended like Facebook by random people. They would have to know your number first. So not like other social media where adults could just try and contact you.

somewhereovertherain Tue 30-May-17 22:10:31

Normally 13 but I'd be the same with phones.

MarciaBlaine Tue 30-May-17 22:12:10

Whatsapp only links to your known phone contacts though and you can choose to add them. INstagram and FB are more the ones to keep an eye on imho. And snapchat.

CS2006 Wed 31-May-17 10:24:50

Thanks for the thoughts... it's a tricky virtual world and always good to hear others views 🤔

WhispersOfWickedness Wed 31-May-17 10:34:51

The NSPCC have a website called net aware which reviews different apps and gives info on age limits etc, here's a link to the page for whatsapp, which interestingly says the limit is 13, not 16 confused https://www.net-aware.org.uk/networks/whatsapp/

CS2006 Wed 31-May-17 21:26:51

Hmmm... thanks whispers... That's really useful. It can be so confusing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now