Talk

Advanced search

Cyber bullying, how to deal with it?

(10 Posts)
Feellikerubbish Wed 15-Feb-17 23:06:07

My son is 9 and often play online games with his friends at school. There is one particular older boy from school who sometimes kicks him out of a game or mutes him when he talks and has blocked my son from time to time. At school he seems OK and would say hello to my son when he sees him.

My son's own friends all of whom are fine at school, sometimes online will gang up on him and keep killing him or just not be so nice online.

I have spoken to my son and explained that when people don't play nicely online, he should get off and not play with them. He won't listen to me and keeps going back for more!

Anyone had a similar experience and have any tips please? Should I just leave him to sort out these issues himself? He doesn't seem to see it as an issue

user1477282676 Wed 15-Feb-17 23:08:18

You need to speak to the school...to his teacher. Schools take this sort of thing seriously and like to nip it in the bud as often as possible. Usually, when there's been an instance of this kind, the school will hold a special assembly to remind everyone how to behave.

Ask your son if there are any instances when his friends gang up on others in the group or is it always just him?

Feellikerubbish Wed 15-Feb-17 23:37:30

Good idea, I will talk with the school. I asked if that particular ever kicks anyone else off games or mutes others and he said no. Amongst his own group of friends occasionally someone else might get left out but seems mostly him.

BrownEyedLady Thu 16-Feb-17 06:43:36

There are a couple of websites you could look at for advice - getsafeonline and cyberstreetwise.

BrownEyedLady Thu 16-Feb-17 06:44:27

Pretty sure they have content aimed at kids too.

southall Thu 16-Feb-17 06:55:41

I think 9 is a bit young to playing ONLINE games.

Which game is it?

Even mildly violet games like Minecraft have recommended 10+ ratings.

PicnicPie Thu 16-Feb-17 07:02:08

Always good to take screen shots or pics of comments made as your proof.

eyeoresancerre Thu 16-Feb-17 07:14:15

I'm not sure the school will do much as it is outside of school. I've been given screenshots as a teacher before and my slt team can't do much apart from revise esafety with the whole class.
It's really hard to strike a balance regarding what games children can play - but 9 years old with online gaming always causes these issues. They are not mature enough to understand the nuances of it all.

Feellikerubbish Fri 17-Feb-17 00:59:24

It's been tough as my son's group of friends all play games up to 16 rating. As much as I don't like it, the pier pressure is difficult. I do however check out the games beforehand and also my son uses the TV downstairs where I can keep an eye.

Started of with minecraft and in fact it's minecraft where he's getting the issues. Overwatch rated 12 is the game he likes to play.

southall Sat 18-Feb-17 11:42:42

I thought it might be Minecraft, so easy to 'troll' other players on minecraft.
I mean smash up what they have built or gang up on them.

I would try and wean him off videos games completely somehow.

Personal experience is that all kids too much into video games under achieve their full potential at school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now