Talk

Advanced search

people who don't post pictures of their children online

(28 Posts)
backonthewagon Tue 15-Nov-16 08:32:04

By online I mean on social media, Flikr, on a website etc, not anything that is password protected or that you have to invite people to view such as Google Drive.

Is it for safety reasons? You don't know who might end up seeing the image or what they might do with it?

Is it for anonymity reasons (adopted or LAC for example)?

Is it because they aren't old enough to decide for themselves? At what age would they be old enough?

Is it because they are old enough and have asked you not to?

atticusclaw2 Tue 15-Nov-16 08:36:33

It's because

1. there's no need for the world to see endless pictures of my children. The obsession with social media isn't healthy. The reality is that parents and grandparents might be interested but most other people are not.
2. it builds up a profile of them which will be there forever. They might not appreciate that picture of them with their pants on their head when they're 35

acornsandnuts Tue 15-Nov-16 08:39:37

Because I realize that no one is really that interested in my children with the exception of close family and friends. These people are around enough in real life not to need daily updates on social media. I do find it a bit self absorbed when I see endless 'happy family' photos.

fitzbilly Tue 15-Nov-16 08:41:25

Like others said I just don't think everyone is interested in seeing photos of my children. I share photos With family on WhatsApp and have framed photos around the house. That's enough.

EmzDisco Tue 15-Nov-16 08:42:47

I do post some pics, but most are on an account you need a password for.

I think my main issue is we have no idea what the digital world will be like in the future, or the repercussions of the world we live in now, if someone wants to see my baby photos they have to go to my parents house and try and find them in the loft! Our children's baby photos, what they do each day, funny and embarrassing stories etc, are shared with huge amounts of people, and unless you delete it's a permanent record. This may cause no problems at all, but we don't know that yet.

When I meet someone new I have the chance to share with them as much or as little as I like about my childhood, our kids may not have that luxury.

And it is also an issue of consent, that does make me feel uncomfortable.

I still do post pics on Facebook though, I am toying with the idea of deleting them all once a year!

ToothPowder Tue 15-Nov-16 08:42:51

What atticus said, really, plus the fact that I am not on social media. I joined FB and twitter for professional reasons, to promote a research network, but I post rarely, and only to publicise conferences, events etc.

There are two work-related photos of me in the public domain. I see no reason why my four year old should be plastered around online. TBH, I find it weird that people choose otherwise.

FlopIsMyParentingGuru Tue 15-Nov-16 08:43:05

I don't believe that their online identity is mine to shape but will most likely follow them around long after I can!
And I feel that it gives my discussions with them about social media (when the time comes) a level of integrity.

trilbydoll Tue 15-Nov-16 08:45:37

I do put photos on Facebook but not loads and usually from the back or side. I wouldn't want my childhood photos on the internet for anyone to see (altho my profile security settings are high) so it doesn't seem fair to create a daily record of the kids.

cingolimama Tue 15-Nov-16 08:47:49

In addition to the excellent reasons listed above, we never post pictures because of the online abuse my husband (because of his work) gets - there's a lot of crazies out there. Also, I suppose I'm quite a private person.

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Tue 15-Nov-16 08:47:51

Because he might not want work colleagues to be able to find pictures of him naked aged 18 months, print them off and post them round the office on his birthday. If he wants to make his photos available, he can do that himself when he's older and then it'll be his own stupid fault.

That and I'm not sure why anyone's particularly interested.

His DGM probably slams them all over Facebook though... hmm

Hasn't there been a case in Australia recently with a girl suing her parents for putting her pictures up (or something like that)?

BusterGonad Tue 15-Nov-16 08:51:05

I never put pictures of my child on FB until I moved to another country and I thought it was unfair on my family not to catch up with what he's doing and how much he is growing.

Saucery Tue 15-Nov-16 08:52:58

Old enough to decide for himself.

TheNaze73 Tue 15-Nov-16 08:56:18

Two reasons, firstly I don't think I should be the one choosing who sees them on social media. A bit like with religion, it's not right to stick that thumb print on them.
Secondly, just a preference but, there really is nothing more boring than other people's kids. Other than family, who see them anyway, I don't see the point

FlappyRose Tue 15-Nov-16 08:58:43

I don't because I don't want to. I don't understand why anyone would want to post pictures of their children online.

AuntieStella Tue 15-Nov-16 08:58:45

Because I don't use social media.

And I don't like other people posting on their social media, as it's not up to them to make decisions about privacy levels for people to whom they are unrelated.

The DC are teens. They'll be making their own decisions soon.

NashvilleQueen Tue 15-Nov-16 08:59:03

Although there is a balance of course. You can post photos which include clothing....

BusterGonad Tue 15-Nov-16 14:12:45

Nashville grin

Luckystar1 Tue 15-Nov-16 14:18:54

I don't do it for a few reasons:

1. It's not fair on the children to have copious images of themselves in cyberspace that they have no control over (I hate the thought of them being used by school bullies or the like)

2. I hate the thought that some sicko could see/use them

3. I have friends who are struggling with infertility etc, I prefer not to even inadvertently rub their noses in it

4. I can't stand the thought of people who I'm friends with for 'polite' reasons to know things about my life (includes wedding pics and any info about me in general!!). I've never updated facebook re pregnancies etc, a lot of people will not have known I was pregnant and I've never used my children's names on my facebook either.

Snapdragon01 Wed 04-Jan-17 19:53:44

I don't like photos of my baby online, although my dh doesn't see the big deal. I just think you don't know who's looking at them or if they're somehow using the photo. If people want to see her they can visit us.

Justme3 Mon 09-Jan-17 15:41:05

I don't because I don't want to. It's DCs choice to make not mine.

stoopido Mon 09-Jan-17 15:46:45

I hardly post any photos anymore and never any of my son (9) because he asks that I don't. I started to worry about security of the photos and I noticed that actually people don't really care or look at the photo subject they look at the background!

CryingShame Mon 09-Jan-17 15:48:23

It's because DS can't give me consent to put his image online, and won't thank me in 10 years for endless photos. Most of my photos of me as a child include a sibling close in age so I also don't do those "hilarious" profile photos of "you with a wonky fringe aged 7" because there are none without that other person in and it's not her media profile and she doesn't do social media at all.

It's about having respect for the other person and recognising what their wishes may be.

DireTires Mon 09-Jan-17 15:52:48

I haven't ever put pictures up and and now they are old enough to decide for themselves, they don't either. So I'm glad I never did.

They don't want an online history, fair enough, it is their choice.

BratFarrarsPony Mon 09-Jan-17 15:55:14

no it is because nobody else is that interested in them.....smile
Also I am too lazy and dont have a digital camera.
I did put up one recently, but they are 18 now. they can tell me to take it down if they dont like it.

Starduke Mon 09-Jan-17 16:02:41

I'm not on social media

There is no-one interested in seeing photos of my children that I can't either physically show them or email/text them.

I'm a private person- I don't like my photo being up there so I'm not about to put my DCs there

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now