YouTube

(6 Posts)
tostaky Tue 01-Dec-15 21:03:35

Sorry if this has been done before - I have not found anything apart from MNHQ deleted replies to similar questions... I wonder why...

So... My 7 yo would like to watch "how to draw" videos on you tube and as we speak I am sitting next to him while he does that.
I did put the restriction on my iPad and the app icon has disappeared however I can access YouTube through safari... I didn't want to start searching "naughty" things on YouTube to check if I could access unsuitable content - for fear they will come up in my "recommendations".

Is there a way to restrict unsuitable content on YouTube? Be it on safari or on the app?

Thank you

Ps: and if I do search naughty things to check, will I be recommended unsuitable videos (even if I don't watch them).

idletim Fri 01-Jan-16 17:54:01

Hi there. YouTube have launched YouTube kids in the states. This is a separate set of content for children to access kids.youtube.com/

As I say it's only in the USA at the moment anyway. My main concern is that the content may be looked down upon by many children who want to be on grown up YouTube.
My advice would be to get a Google account and log in to it on any device where your 7yo watches YouTube. This will allow you to turn on restricted mode. This mode is tied to the account and not the device which means the restrictions will apply on any device as long as you are logged in. Whilst it is not perfect it's a big step in the right direction.

One of the problems with YouTube is the comments left by other users. They can be awful. My other piece of advice is to talk to your child about what they go on. My 10yo loves Minecraft tutorials. He sticks to the same channels and asks if he can try something else. Ask them to talk to you if they want to branch out. There is always the risk with YouTube but doing things together on the internet is a great attitude. Lots of parents just don't know what their kids look at.

You mentioned searching for content to see how effective various filters are. You can always delete recommendations but I would simply sign in to a different YouTube account if this bothered me. One of the other things an account does is let you check a user's history. This is worth knowing how to do and is explained here support.google.com/youtube/answer/57711?hl=en-GB
I hope that's of some use smile

idletim Fri 01-Jan-16 17:56:07

I forgot to post a link showing you how to enable restricrted mode on YouTube. Here is is
support.google.com/youtube/answer/174084

AndNowItsSeven Fri 01-Jan-16 17:56:59

You tube kids is available on uk apple App Store.

idletim Fri 01-Jan-16 18:11:01

Thanks. Will download and have a play

jennykay Wed 20-Jan-16 21:52:41

Yeah, I agree that you should control your kid's activity on the web using some monitors like the one from Spyrix website, for example. It makes everything much easier and allows you to be sure that your children don't see what they are not supposed to. I use such a thing, and it works great for me. Every parent should keep it in mind

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now