Talk

Advanced search

What age is appropriate for child to have laptop/computer?

(5 Posts)
leggypeggy Sun 19-Jul-15 08:58:47

(bit of background - just skip to the end) I'm a single parent, my daughter was 8 at Christmas and her dad was going to buy her an ipod. On Christmas Eve he text me to say he had gone on holiday and would be back in the New Year and she could have it then. Trouble was, this was the number one thing she had asked for, her main present. Late on Christmas Eve I decided to pop out and buy one, she was delighted that Santa had brought it.

So, anyway, her dad comes back from his holiday and as she already had her eagerly awaited ipod (from Santa) he gave her a laptop instead. I was mortified and annoyed that he hadn't discussed this at all beforehand. It was in a carrier bag, she just put it in the car and when we got home put it behind the telly unopened. She had no interest in a laptop. It's something that she could have been excited to get and there would be a big build up to, rather than just being handed on in a carrier bag in a car park.

..... until yesterday (July). Now to me, a laptop is a huge deal. It's something I would rather let her have when she is nearer to 10/11 end of Primary school/starting Secondary school type age. If she wants to play a game on a laptop, she just uses mine under supervision.

I would very much appreciate the opinions of others though! What age should a child have a laptop of their own?

Squeegle Sun 19-Jul-15 10:16:00

So do you still have it? Isn't it just time to get it out now? I don't think there is a particular problem, but you need to keep admin rights so she doesn't download potential malware etc, and you need to put parental controls on it.

dementedpixie Sun 19-Jul-15 10:20:11

ds has one and he is 8

NickyEds Fri 07-Aug-15 14:30:39

I'd be inclined to agree with you, 11 so secondary starting age. 8 just feels a bit young to have one of her own, as you say she can just use yours with supervision.

PYCO Sat 19-Dec-15 05:21:11

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now