Talk

Advanced search

Screen time limits?

(9 Posts)
Applecross Mon 18-May-15 06:10:28

I've got a 4 yo iPad addict starting school in August (North of the border) - what do you consider an age appropriate amount of iPad/laptop/tv time to be? Do you differentiate between different screens? Different rules for term time vs holidays? What about if they use iPads at school? thanks for your views!

propelusagain Mon 18-May-15 06:17:21

I don't think any ipad time is approriate for a 4 to.
You brought the device into the house.

Applecross Mon 18-May-15 09:09:28

I brought the device into the house? I suppose your dc don't watch films etc? She mostly watches Amazon prime on it so uses it as a mini tv.

swarskicat Tue 16-Jun-15 19:11:22

None for a 4 year old. An hour of TV a day max

gradyt Thu 25-Jun-15 08:12:52

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

eliphant Sat 27-Jun-15 17:59:52

I don't go for outright bans but I tend to either use the screens as a way to engage with my kids - watch interesting content, have discussions on it, show them something amazing, etc. so when I'm with them when we're using it this way, I don't really set a limit. I would just use the device for long enough (until we have seen enough). If it is just letting the kids sit with the device and play on it without me being there, then I'd usually set a limit. For a 4 year old I'd say 20 minutes. Then again it's so dependent on the child isn't it? My son has never found screen time that attractive and I often do not find myself needing to set limits for him - he just comes off it himself after about 10 minutes by himself. If it's a really engaging game, maybe about half an hour to an hour and he's off again - he's not 4 now though, he's older than that. He gets bored of it quickly, just like he does with other things.

melonribena Mon 02-Nov-15 22:44:10

Our 3 year old has the iPad to chill after preschool. He lives to cuddle and play on apps and you tube.

He sits for a bit then rushes off to play.

I believe that rigid time limits can create obsessions so we go with the flow.

Most people I know are the same with their children.

Trust your own judgement.

imwithspud Mon 02-Nov-15 22:49:25

Dd2 is 3 and we got her a tablet for her birthday. It has parental controls and time limit settings on it. We set it for 1.5hours a day, but she doesn't always use that time up. Tv time isn't limited as much because she doesn't sit and watch it as much like she does her tablet.

CarolineAlwaysWins Thu 25-May-17 13:31:47

Hi. I do not think that it is appropriate for a 4 year old kid to have his/hers own iPad. You can buy the device to have in your home for your necessaries; children in this age group don’t have necessary to have an iPad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now