Talk

Advanced search

Wondering whether to ban internet use when parents not in the room / house. Any advice?

(8 Posts)
guitarrista Thu 05-Mar-15 12:34:07

It's been suggested to me that it would be a good idea to ban 11 and 13 year olds from internet when parents are not in a room with them, to protect kids from what they might see / do. They both have the internet on their phones, and they do homework on a computer upstairs so this would really restrict them a lot compared to what they are used to. They also spend occasions on the internet when parents are out, so I guess we'd have to switch it off if we are out. Does anyone have experience of only letting kids use internet in shared areas of house? Any advice / other ways of protecting kids?

charayev Mon 04-May-15 12:00:33

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jcage15 Fri 08-May-15 08:36:03

Mclaney Mon 08-Jun-15 16:57:41

kikikirstie Wed 08-Jul-15 18:35:40

Hi, I've just read your thread. I've been trialing a new system from a company wifiblocker.co.uk. All as I can say is its given me my kids back.
I have complete access on my devices and theirs are totally under my control with an app on my mobile. I can switch there internet off from anywhere in the world amazing! I also have it on a timer so it doesn't interfere with getting up in the morning or when they should be asleep.
Please go to their site for more detail. I have now been using this for 8 weeks.

stepford1 Fri 25-Sep-15 17:05:42

Thanks for the info on wifiblocker - i think we may be needing it going forwards. Just caught DS (nearly 11) using his iPhone to go on youtube in his room - the device is only there to be a music system as was hubbies old one and linked to speakers but my (too clever) boy worked out the password on the phone and so for the last few days (only that he claims) has had full internet access all on his own!! I DID wonder why he kept disappearing upstairs...

PGillesSieler Thu 08-Oct-15 17:28:36

Hi new here...
Yes, we have a no Internet policy for our kids in the bedrooms. They don't have their own devices. My oldest is 12. She wants her own phone, and at some point we will give it to her. But when I do it will have monitoring software/app on it, so that I can see where she is going and doing, etc...Not that we don't trust her, but we don't trust predators/cyber-bullies, etc...

We have already had a conversation with her about the dangers of the Internet, etc. But as parents it is our responsibility to teach them proper use of Internet, just like teaching them how to drive a car.

CarolineAlwaysWins Thu 25-May-17 13:32:24

Hello. I have 2 daughters and I don't let my daughters go on any device without supervision. I spent a lot of time with them talking about the danger of putting real information on the internet. So I think if you have an open conversation with your child and install an internet blocker app on their device you can be more relaxed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now