Talk

Advanced search

Would you trust a kid with their own tablet?

(8 Posts)
Daisy321 Sun 19-Oct-14 19:16:37

My DD is 9, and is growing up fast. She likes to go on websites such as movie star planet, roblox, minecraft etc... and this is mostly OK, although I did ban her from roblox at one point as she was chatting to strangers on there, which I told her NOT to do angry

Anyway, she wants her own tablet for xmas and I'm in two minds about it. Currently she uses the family laptop, but I'm uneasy about her having her own internet access, to use when she's shut away in her room.

Does anyone have any advice or their own experience to share on this matter?? Thank you

ClapHandsIfYouBelieveInFatties Sun 19-Oct-14 22:51:54

My 10 year old has one but she's not allowed on any sites with social networking or chat facilities on them.

It's madness to allow children to do that.

My DD is allowed on Netflix, Animal Jam and to use skype to speak to her friends at school. The door is open...we don't allow her into her room alone with it. She sits in the dining room.

FannyFifer Sun 19-Oct-14 22:54:16

9 year old has an ipad which he saved up for himself.

I have it set so he can only access specific websites & any apps also need to be approved by me.

It's pretty easy to keep things safe.

SummerVacation Wed 19-Nov-14 14:32:09

My 7 year old daughter has an iPad which she uses for a number of activities.

* Maths, English, language, science and other educational applications
* BBC website and some online educational resources supplied from her school and bodies such as Oxford University
* BBC iPlayer and YouTube as a treat
* Minecraft and one or two princess/Disney style games

Schools are likely to start using Tablets and other technology more in the future since the rich interactive media provided can be a great aid to interactive learning so it's good to be familiar with the technology early I feel. I feel tablets are a powerful aid for a child's development, as good as the best text books but of course it has to be limited like anything.

slkk Fri 21-Nov-14 08:52:20

I wouldn't allow it. Keep her online in a family space where you can limit content and time spent online. A tablet will give her access to sites like YouTube and all the coach up tv as well as social media.

Char060814 Thu 27-Nov-14 14:30:36

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 27-Nov-14 14:36:18

I don't allow any unsupervised access to the internet under 16 years and have 2 grown up dc who were fine with this.
DD is 10 and no way would I allow it as it is far too dangerous.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 27-Nov-14 14:37:33

Access to youtube is even worse unsupervised, there are all sorts of weird and horrible things on there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now